Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Life Imitating Art

One of my favorite parties is happening again today over at Coloradolady,
it's time for Vintage Thingies Thursday
I'm also joining Fresh Cut Friday over at Rose Vignettes , 
with a bouquet from my December garden.
Vintage Black Friday at The French Cupboard

This black and white photograph was a gift from the former Art Director
at Homer Laughlin China, Jonathan Parry.  It is from a photo shoot sometime
in the 1930s, probably near the time Fiesta was first produced.





I am always amazed at the impact black and white photographs have and how
the hidden colors seem to come right through the image.



The Fiesta is all vintage and the roses and daisies were picked this morning
December 1st from my very chilly garden.  The flatware is "Cityscape" by Oneida.






Thanks so much for stopping by again this week.  I hope you'll come back often during
this holiday season for upcoming posts.  Christmas Tree 2010 reveal will be for Metamorphosis Monday this coming week and as always lots of tablescapes for the holidays.

15 comments:

  1. A truly beautiful tribute, Candy! Thanks for sharing the special photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delight to see this black and white photo vignette recreated in living color. You are a wealth of creativity! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are amazing. And what a great recreation of the picture. I got a little excited when I saw his obituary. Maybe excited isn't the correct word? I have relatives in East liverpool and I hadn't thought about that town for a long time. So sad that he died so young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great feature on the black and color shots. I like both, put prefer the color. Your dinner photos are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for such a beautiful post to Mr. Parry and the lovely black and white photo. Your placesetting along with the photograph is great! You are so talented with your ideas and photography.

    I am looking forward to your Christmas ideas! I know they will be exciting!

    Mary
    From Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a lovely tribute to him and so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an interesting photo, and I love the way you recreated it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Candy,
    what a wonderul tribute to designer J.O.Parry and his artwork. I started to love Fiastaware by reading your blog and seeing the gorgeous tablescapes, you make with it.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun post! I adore black and white photography, I find it so rich. Your presentation is wonderful as always and I am so coveting your pieces! :)

    Happy VTT,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a great job of recreating the photo! I didn't know that Fiesta even made the glasses... Very cute!

    Thank you so much for joining in for Fresh-Cut Friday. I so appreciate it! :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice Candy, a colorful tribute to a friend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Truly an amazing post. You take beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed looking at your black and white pictures, the article is very interesting, I will have to goodle Mr. Parry's jewelry designs.

    Happy VBF...
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic tribute to Mr. Parry's work.The contrast between print and your still life is beautiful ~ such vivid colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading about JP, I think of him often as I come across pieces in my collection that I associate with him.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails