Friday, March 12, 2010

Saturday Night Special - Succulent Bird Houses

I'm joining in on Saturday Night Special
over at Funky Junk Interiors
Jump on over and check out all of this week's DIY projects.

Although Spring isn't here yet here in Northern California,
we are getting some sunshine and warmer days.  I'm cleaning away all the debris
from a winter of extremely cold temperatures that caused more damage than usual
to my garden.  Many little succulents have frozen stems, but the rescued heads and
intact pieces can be urged back to their former beauty.

I haven't done any new bird houses in a few years, but I went rooting
around in my garden shed and found some candidates for improvement.

What You Need:
Birdhouse
Spaghnum Moss
Hot Glue Gun
Small Succulents
Potting Mix

Optional wood trim - I added some wood trim about 1" tall all around the roof
edges to hold a small amount of potting soil, the plants and the moss.
Glue the moss to the wood trim pieces and begin wedging your plants and
more moss over the roof surface. Just play with it until it is "set"
It will stabilize as the plants begin to root and settle in.

Instant gratification and a roof reminiscent of the sod roofs so
common in Europe when I was a kid.


14 comments:

  1. That turned out absolutely beautiful! I love the colorful look of the succulents. So jealous that your backyard is that green!

    -Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this birdhouse and remember from reading the original post that you did one other - so talented and great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo adorable. :) I can visualize this on an ancient birdhouse I have out back. Giddy! I'm putting you up on the SNS sidebar for the weekend.

    Thanks for linking up to SNS!
    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies.....and an oops moment.
    Sylvia, you are correct!

    I have added the second image to this post too, I must have dumped it by mistake when I cut and pasted from the original post.

    Have a great day, we have SUNSHINE AND BLUE SKIES!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love these birdhouses. You are so clever! I'm going to highlight it on The Boardwalk Blotter with a direct link back to your blog for instructions. Feel free to take a "featured" button. You can take a look here:

    http://bobbypinsdesignotebook.blogspot.com/2010/03/living-birdhouses-beautiful.html

    I LOVE THIS PROJECT! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your birdhouse. It turned out great! This is my 1st visit. I love your blog.. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so in love with your birdhouses. I adore them. I just stopped by and I am a new follower...if you can do that for those little birdies, I cannot wait to read more.

    Holly
    www.504main.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love almost every birdhouse I meet, but this one is really special cause I love all plants too!! Wonderful idea!!Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Following you from Funky Junks Saturday Nite Special!
    Come by for a visit!
    http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are so stinkin cute! I have some birdhouses that are getting a face lift! I need some succulents!
    ~anita

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jan, thanks for the "featured" ! I appreciate it.

    Welcome Lori and Holly, I love followers!

    And thanks to Donna for putting me on her sidebar for SNS!

    And a special thanks to all of you for stopping by to comment on my bird houses! More garden inspired things to come as the warm weather begins to be the norm again.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a fantastic post! I love making things and I have made a few birdhouses in the past. When I moved to my new house I used Move My Stuff Stoke Removals and was able to keep all my home made things which made me happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was reading some of your blog posts on this internet site and I believe this site is very informative! Continue putting up.
    isla mujeres real estate

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails