Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Done With Winter - Garden in recovery mode!

It's beginning to feel more like Spring here in California and I'm joining in for

Signs of recovery are everywhere.  After an extremely cold wet winter and the demise of
some favorites, the strong and steadfast inhabitants of my garden are on their way to
recovery.  It was monsoons, weeks of sogginess, hail, freezing temperatures with the sogginess
that did some things in.  I have begun a gentle cleanup, still giving some of the
black and soggy ones time to come back from underground.  There is hope in the air!

About a month ago I pruned all my roses, as I do each year here in California, down to
about 12" in height.  I love my roses at all stages during the year, one of my favorite
times being when the new growth begins to show.  Love those new leaves!






The Hydrangeas are also leafing out.


And the Clematis


Flowering shrubs are on the rise



The first Day Lily, about a month behind schedule


Gazania


Non-succulent Euphorbias are like little spotlights in the garden.



So sweet and shouting, "Look at me, I'm so pretty!"


One of my favorite Salvias is coming back from the dead!
And some interloper chives hiding under the mushrooms.


The Sedum is coming up all over the garden.


Giant Gunnera and its smaller cousin.



Aloe


A couple of different Aeoniums



And lastly on today's tour was a succulent Euphorbia, whose flowers are small and fairly
insignificant, but a sure sign that Spring will soon be full blown.


10 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely, lovely...
    Your photos are all beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. spectacular colors and photos! I have to say I really liked the 'mushroom' shot. What a fascinating mushroom!

    Great job, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some amazing photos. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! You have a beautiful garden, I'm sure you're anxiously waiting to see what is going to make it. It's been an odd winter everywhere - 12 inches of snow in North Texas?? Glad that spring has decided to make an appearance! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That red mushroom was something else. Nice flower photos!
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing to me a Kansas girl that you have such growth already. I'll have to wait a few months for pics like these. Really beautiful.
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful garden you must have. Fantastic photos! I just love the mushrooms - what detail and colors. I am just starting to see spring coming to life in my yard. Just when I thought it was safe to start planting, we had another frost and killed the plants. I am so over this weird winter!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful shots of spring in action! My gardens are still snow covered but melting more every day. I will be returning Bloomin' Tuesday real soon if you are interested in showing us your blooms. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay Spring! Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I second that "Yay Spring" sentiment!

    I've been working in the garden all week and I'm seeing more and more signs of new growth. Soon enough the warm days will be back in full force and can you believe that NEXT weekend the time changes??? Wooohooo, it will be light in the evenings.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails