Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Rosemary Is Making Bread

It's time again for Vintage Thingies Thursday over at Coloradolady .
Come join the fun and show us your Vintage Thingies.

For all of you who love to share your
pretties jump over to My Romantic Home,
where Cindy hosts Show and Tell Friday each week.

I'm joining all the foodies over at Designs By Gollum 
for another Foodie Friday with Michael Lee!

I call her Rosemary and she is making bread.


The plate is vintage Winterling porcelain made in Germany by
Porzellanfabrik Oscar Schaller and Co., with a mark dated from 1940-1950.


The appetizer board is a reproduction purchased in the 80s on a trip to Denmark.
The little flour scoop was made by Mr. TLRT in junior high school for his mom.


The crystal liqueur decanter is vintage and normally is filled with Crème de menthe, but
Rosemary prefers Midori Melon Liqueur , so that's what it is filled with today.  The shot glass
is contemporary Kosta Boda and was a gift from a friend.


Rosemary looks more Dutch than German, but I haven't been able to ID her specifically.

Edit:  Thanks to Postcardy for the ID ..... something I should have known!
She is Dutch and is "The Milkmaid" by Vermeer
Read about her on Wikipedia at:

The fresh rosemary is from my garden and is perfuming the entire house.


This is where Rosemary normally hangs out.


If you love Rosemary Bread, give this recipe a try.  Instead of cooking spray I use
olive oil to grease the pans.  I also brush with egg whites a couple of times.  You can
also add sea salt to the top for added flavor.  Makes two loaves.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons rosemary(I use closer to 3 T)
2 tablespoons butter

Place yeast, sugar and water in large bowl or food processor and allow mixture to become bubbly.
Mix in 1 T butter, salt, and 2 cups of flour.
Add one tablespoon of the fresh chopped rosemary.
Knead for about 10 minutes by hand or in food processor about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
Add more flour if necessary.
Oil a bowl, put dough in it and cover with a towel.
Let dough rise in a warm place for one hour until doubled.
Punch down dough and divide in half.
Let dough rest about 5 minutes.
Spray baking pan or cookie sheet with cooking spray.(I use olive oil)
Shape the dough into 2 small rounded oval loaves.
Sprinkle remaining 1 Tablespoon of rosemary over the loaves and press lightly into the surface.
Let loaves rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
Carefully remove from oven, brush with remaining butter .

Edit 4:30PM
Because of some questions by interested readers, I'm adding some information about the rosemary.
It is a fast growing, evergreen, almost ever-blooming lovely plant.  The plants on our front hill have been in the ground since 9/2007 and were grown from 4" cuttings I took at our old garden in
the Spring of 2007.

Here's a shot looking from the garden/house level down to the street level. Not the greatest time of the day to take pictures, but I think you can get the idea.


And a closeup.  All you have to do is just barely brush up against this stuff and you have the instant aroma surrounding you.



Here's the botanical stuff on this particular cultivar:
Family: Lamiaceae
Genus: Rosmarinus Species: officinalis
Cultivar: Pyramidalis

Common name is Upright Rosemary, general hardiness info says it is good to
Zone 7A down to 0 degrees F

33 comments:

  1. So pretty and the bread sounds fantastic. I was wondering about your rosemary--I have had mine for a couple of years , but they have never had blooms. Are those purple flowers coming from the rosemary???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have to ask the same thing...mine NEVER blooms,and now, I want to go out in the garden and ask that bush "why not" LOL....Lovely pictures and love the plate. Thanks for the recipe...it sounds wonderful! Now....I need to know about that blooming rosemary....I want one!!! Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a wonderful collection of vintage things. You did very well assembling all of them together making a great VTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you "vintage" lovers!

    I've added some info about the rosemary to the original post, let me know if you need additional info!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen rosemary bloom, either! Love your vignette; is it purposely green for today?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going out and buy a Rosemary plant! Your bread recipe sounds good, I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your plate. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Rosemary" of the plate is really the Milkmaid by Vermeer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Elizabeth! Yes, it is green for this greenest of all days in the year! LOL

    Thanks for all your comments, and a special thanks to Postcardy for Rosemary's true ID. I've added the information to the post.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rosemary is beautiful and so are the plants. I love this post for today.. Happy VTT,have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. I am so envious of your garden full of rosemary. Any garden at all would be nice right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, I am blown away at the beauty! The vignette you've created, the gorgeous rosemary and a yummy recipe to boot- excellent VTT post, simply excellent!

    PS- the yard ain't too shabby either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous post! I just love the descriptions of your vintage thingies (especially the plate)and the addition of the recipe was so creative... Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous green things! I especially love the plate. Ever see the movie, "Girl with a Pearl Earring?" It is about the artist Vermeer and (I believe a fictionalized) account of one of his models. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is an amazing amount of rosemary. I've never seen so much in bloom.

    Check out the book "The Girl with the Pearl Earring" for more clues on your plate.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, first your photographs are just lovely, the colors are amazing. And midori? Im so there. that stuff is fabulous!

    Happy VTT
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  17. All of your "vintage thingies" are lovely and I especially like that appetizer board. That rosemary is beautiful. The variety I have does not have the purple flowers. I must get some like yours!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow!! I wonder why mine do not flower!! I wonder if I have a different kind? hmmm, yours are so gorgeous!!! We used to have some in pots by the door and every time we went in and out we could brush them and smell the fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! From your garden to your kitchen, it's all just wonderful! I copied down the recipe. I love the taste and smell of rosemary! Your Rosemary plate and your story is just perfect! Thanks for sharing! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous post; a pretty green scene, rosemary bread recipe, blooming plants! The green pitcher in your picture is great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful post! Why is it called an appetizer board? I thought it was a bread dough bowl when I first saw it. Love the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE that green decanter. Ahhh I love it all what am I talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I thank all of you for stopping by to check out my pretties! I'll be sure to look for "The Girl with the Pearl Earring", sounds interesting.

    Charlotte, the board could be used as a dough bowl, but it is quite shallow. I've also heard them called cheese boards. My husband's relatives had one when we visited them in Denmark and they called it an appetizer board, so I just followed suit! :-)

    RainGardener - I love the decanter too and I love what's in it! Yummy summer drink.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great post! I love rosemary bread and enjoy growing it- it's one of the few things that the deer won't eat! I'm covetting your appetizer Board!
    xoxo pattie

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely post, I love your photographs, and thank you for the recipe. Your garden looks beautiful.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your garden is absolutely stunning! I wish our winters only got down to 0 ... because I would love to grow that!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This was a delight. I will love making the bread! I have all the ingredients--even the rosemary, though it's growing in a pot on my counter. I had a round herb garden at my old house, and my rosemary took up one part of the circle. Now, on this bald hilltop, we only have lavender, but as soon as we can, we're planting the herbs I've got in the kitchen. You've inspired me--can't wait for warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG Those rosemary bushes are to die for! I have one measly plant in a pot that I will drag outside as soon as all danger of frost is past...

    Thank you very much for sharing all these beautiful objects with us. I love the composition

    ReplyDelete
  29. Candy,
    This is such a great post! From the "life imitating art" scene you set up of the bread making to the rosemary photos. Thanks for the recipe too. I thought Rosemary looked like a Vermeer painting!

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW! I have to grow rosemary. I have to. I had intended to but now that I know it's so hardy, there's nothing stopping me. Plus I love it, and I adore rosemary bread - thank you for sharing this recipe, it's a godsend for rosemary addicts like me!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's so kind of you all to stop by to check in on "Rosemary" ..... she's been in my family since around 1950 and is a treasured reminder of time long ago.

    I'll try to get a shot of the hill looking up with all the rosemary in bloom ..... means I need to do it early some morning, which may take awhile! LOL

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, Beautiful Rosemary and rosemary! Such lovely and beautiful things you featured today! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Becky! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, stop by again sometime.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails