Tuesday, June 29, 2010

This Week In My Garden: Woodpeckers

I'm joining everyone over at A Southern Daydreamer for another episode of Outdoor Wednesday.
Come on over and join the fun in the sun!

Some of you may remember a couple of months ago when my granddaughter was able to capture
a couple of the woodpeckers feasting on the Melianthus major at the back of my garden.


Over the past few weeks the half dozen or so woodpeckers that live in the oak trees at the
back of our property have become very brave and now share the bird feeder along with the
rest of the fowl in the neighborhood.  They flit away if I'm too close, but I was able to capture
these shots through the kitchen window this morning, just before the sun crested the hill to
fill the garden with bright morning light.

Waiting for a turn in the big red bowl.
These woodpeckers are Melanerpes formicivorus - Acorn Woodpecker.
This is a female, easily identified because males do not have the black band
between their white face and red topknot.  



Keeping a sharp lookout.

One last bite.


Taking flight.


Thanks for visiting the garden with me again this week!

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The shots of them on the flowers is amazing! They love my suet feeder, it's so fun to watch them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy, these are beautiful photos of this woodpecker. I've never seen on up close like this. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hear them but I've never seen one upclose. Your shots are superb. I'd blow them up and put them on the wall. What gorgeous and fascinating creatures. Jane F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos or such a pretty bird! I've never seen one before, except for Woody Woodpecker or course! He's a cutie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. Those pictures are really impressive. I don't think I've ever seen a wood pecker like that. I have seen some woodpeckers in my yard and wouldn't mind encouraging them to come back. What do you put out for them to eat?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are just beautiful! I'm fascinated with woodpeckers right now...come over and see my downy woodpeckers eating from a hummingbird feeder. Visiting from OW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminds me of the cartoon! But really, you captured that woodpecker beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love his little red 'yarmulke'. The woodpeckers I've seen in Michigan always seem to wear their head feathers in a Mohawk fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos of this woodpecker! I can never get to the camera in time.

    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love those birds! never seen them on my melianthus, what a treat! i was sitting by my feeders the other day, camera in hand for some great shots not even 10' away, dead camera battery... treat to see yours~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pics~ I haven't seen that variety before!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos! I love to watch the birds in my yard. We only get woodpeckers in the winter. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I join all the others and just say WOW those are awesome photos. Have a great week. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are truly magnificent shots. So good for you that they have become so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Melianthus major is so strong, it doesn'tbend over with the woodpecker's weight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks to all of you for stopping by to bird watch with me! These guys are just too cute for words and are very social and talkative. They live here year round in social groups, where only certain pairs breed and the whole community looks after the nest and new chicks.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails