Thursday, June 3, 2010

Got beans?

I'm joining Cindy's weekly party over at My Romantic Home
come on over for Show and Tell Friday!

The Homer Laughlin China Company has made thousands, probably tens of thousands, kinds of dinnerware since the late 1800s right here in the USA.  Their iconic Fiesta is probably the best known, but for collectors many of their other lines hold a lot of interest also.

OvenServe was a line of utilitarian ware for kitchen use, as well as some place setting pieces.
Many were left in the plain cream color, but lots were decorated with decals or handpainting
of the raised design.  Here is an early ad for the best known decoration.


And a dinner plate with the original label still affixed.


There are several pieces in this line whose shape really appeals to me.
The shirred egg plate is one of those, with it oh so pretty little flared out handles.


But, my very favorite piece is the "bean pot", seen here in a photocopy of an old brochure.


Perfect for the next time you make squab or need a little container for leftovers!






The bean pots came in different sizes.




An example of another fairly common decoration on this line.


Thanks for stopping by to play dishes with me,
hope to see you again soon when I dig out more dishes for us to play with!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, that is so pretty! It looks very cottage. Love that pattern. You have the best collections of this stuff!
    Come by my blog and enter to win a $50 CSN gift certificate to buy more Fiesta!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Candy! Oh, I love this and have seen a few pieces around in shops! I love the pretty little vignette you've set up!
    Guess what? Yesterday I found some pieces of Homer Laughlin and I think it's called Brittany Majestic. I was trying to find it on line. It has a rim of burgandy bands and flowers and flowers in the center of the plates. Also has a gold rim. These dishes have really been used and not in the best shape - but I fell in love with them. You probably know all about this pattern!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the pattern with the pink and blue flowers. I found a huge bowl in poppy orange and blue flowers at an estate sale. I am going to be on the look out for the bean pot. Thanks again for showing us your dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those are really cute! I like the lids ~ makes them so useful for many things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! what pretty jars you have! somemore from Homer's series.. just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for coming by to check out some more of my dishes! This line is just too cute, but does tend to be in rough shape from lots of use so check you pieces carefully when you run across them.

    Lucky you Sheila! I think sometimes those little flaws just make pieces more appealing .... shows how much they have been loved. :-)

    Check back again soon, more dishes and garden and tablescapes to come!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these - so bright and cheerful! Absolutely love Homer Laughlin!!!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty. I really like these. Are they heavy like crockery or stoneware? HL tends to be in as I recall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this. It was excited to see. I collect Fiestaware. I found some HL dishes the other day at the thrift store and passed them up. Should I go back and get them? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to see you lovers of HL dishes coming by!
    Thanks for your kind comments!

    Sue, they are what I would call medium weight, not heavy and chunky. Most Homer Laughlin isn't that heavy if you are talking vintage. Some of their restaurant ware is of a heavier weight out of necessity.

    AllyJo - if you are still thinking about them days later ..... hmmmmm, you probably should run back and get them.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails