Friday, June 4, 2010

Does Your Chimney Need Sweeping?

I'm joining all the gang over at French Cupboard for another Vintage Black Friday party.

When I was a little girl growing up in post WWII Germany, it was always an exciting day
when the chimney sweep showed up to climb on the roof to clean the chimney's.  Dressed in black coat and tails and sporting a top hat with his coiled brushes and ladder slung over his shoulder.
It is considered very good luck to meet a chimney sweep and to shake his hand or better
yet get a kiss from him.



These three sweeps are part of my collection from when I was a child.  Included are a cloth
doll, a Goebel Hummel circa 1950, and a little tin silhouette figure.
The saying on the figure, "I bring happiness (luck) into the house."










Thanks for stopping by for my Vintage Black Friday!

13 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! Made me think of Dick Van Dyke ~ I always loved Bert the chimney sweep in Mary Poppins! Happy VBF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How unique! I want to go watch Mary Poppins now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome treasures. I bet men wanted that job only for the luck part..lol. You have such unique collections. I always love your posts of tablescapes but this adds a new dimension. Thanks for sharing your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candy, your treasures are just delightful, I love them all! I always enjoy dropping in, your blog is always full of creative and dazzling things!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting collection. The little boy is so sweet.

    Hope you are doing something fun this weekend.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing pieces and I love the chimney sweep story!
    Happy VBF!
    xojanis

    ReplyDelete
  7. what precious little chimney sweepers. Also love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Candy! You just have the cutest things! Love these little guys.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw I have such a thing for top hats, that's why I love chimney sweepers too. The one wich says: "I bring luck in your house" in German language is my fave, but the felted one is very cute too.
    Wamest wishes from Germany sends you
    Carola

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome Carola! I'm so happy you stopped by for a visit.

    And thank you all for your lovely comments on my little chimney sweeps ...... somewhere in all my boxes of pictures is a picture of me with our chimney sweep when I was maybe 8 0r 9. Need to look for that!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sweetest man dressed in black and covered in soot ... precious! What a site it must have been to see a "real" sweep with your own eyes!!

    Happy VBF

    xo
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for coming by Jill! Chimney sweeps were semi celebrities when I was a kid and it was always a thrill to watch then climb to the tops of the roofs to clean the chimneys.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  13. All Star Chimney Sweep is a premier chimney sweeps in panama city, FL that offers a full range of chimney sweeping services. Visit our website or call today at 850-712-3470 to request an appointment for an excellent chimney cleaning experience in Panama City, FL.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails