Tuesday, June 1, 2010

This Week In My Garden: More Than Roses

I'm joining everyone over at A Southern Daydreamer for another edition of
Outdoor Wednesday to welcome the month of June!

Over the past few weeks I've shared many of the roses from my rose garden, but
there are other things growing in the garden in addition to roses.

Geum 'Lady Stratheden'

Salvia africana-lutea
My favorite of all the sages I grow, this is native to South Africa and has large flowers.
Once the petals fall away the calyx remains for added interest. (below)


This evergreen perennial is Plectranthus barbatus and has large textured leaves
in a bright almost chartreuse green color.

Umbilicus rupestris - Navelwort, Wall Pennywort 



The Hydrangeas are very late this year, just starting to bloom,
 when they usually are finishing up about now.

Great fillers for any part of the garden, "daisies" come in a multitude of colors and sizes.

Silene uniflora - Sea Campion

Aloe striatula 


Eriobotrya deflexa - Bronze Loquat with a couple of Locusts behind
and our native oaks in the background.

Achillea - Greek Yarrow 'Moonshine'

Centranthus macrosiphon - Pretty Betsy, Spur Valerian
Love this, but Betsy goes everywhere in the garden.  It also comes in a white form
that is less aggressive.




Erigeron glaucus - Seaside Daisy

Another favorite Salvia, this is Salvia forsskaolii - Indigo Woodland Sage
Very large chartreuse textured leaves.  Snails love this stuff, so baiting is really
essential to keeping it nice looking.


This is another of my miniature roses called 'Popcorn'

Sedum rupestre - 'Angelina' growing at the base of an Agave.

And to finish up this week's stroll, this is part of a series of images of my
Deutzia 'Magician'




Thanks for coming along for this week's stroll through the garden.  Most of the roses are in a resting period after the first big flush of the season, but they will be back in full force within a couple of weeks.

12 comments:

  1. What beauties you have ... 3/4s I've never heard of nor seen. I love seeing lovely new florals.

    Have a great week.
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply beautiful. The delicate petals of the popcorn miniature rose are especially sweet.
    Jane T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just gorgeous. You have quite a mix of unique plants. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for strolling through the garden with me this week! And thank you for your lovely comments!
    See you all next week for more Outdoor Wednesday.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is your GARDEN?!!! Why it's like a botanical dreamscape!

    Here is my Outdoor Wednesday...hope you can stop by to say howdy to me by CLICKING HERE -----a new Fountain by the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so impressed you know all the names. Just beautiful, and this coming from a city girl reluctantly living in the country with nature all around (and not much else :-) Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore all of the flowers, you call them fillers, I consider them stand-outs one and all.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what beautiful flowers! Stop by and see me. My blog is new and a bit different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful shots of your flowers, all of mine are just now budding , can't wait till they pop out!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exquisite! Thanks for sharing! Wondering what kind of camera you use...? Your photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for coming to visit the garden with me this week. It's an ever changing source of wonder for me as things are recovering from some hard freezes this past winter.

    Theresa, I am using a Nikon D90 with the basic kit lens. I am still learning how it works!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails