Thursday, January 28, 2010

Where Do You Store All Those Dishes? Part 4

It's time for Show and Tell Friday hosted by Cindy over at My Romantic Home.
Join all the participants as they show and tell about their lives.

It started with a post about my kitchen four weeks ago on Show and Tell Friday showing where my vintage Fiesta is now displayed. The vintage Fiesta was in a glass front display closet in the pantry hall, but that's all changed and other things are now on the move too.


Then I showed you where my "good dishes" now hang out.
Part 1 Post


And a corner cabinet that functions as a kind of transition solution,
when things are moving about. Part 2 Post


Last week I showed you the antique pine store fixture that holds a lot of
dinnerware and accessories in the Part 3 Post



Main Entry: store
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: collect and put aside
Synonyms: accumulate, amass, bank, cache, clear away, clear up, cumulate, keep, keep in reserve, lay away, lay up, lock away, lock up, mothball, pack away, put away, put by, put in order, reserve, salt away, save, save for rainy day, sock away, squirrel, stack away, stash, stash away, stockpile, store away, stow, stow away, tidy, tidy away, tidy up, warehouse

Some of the synonyms for "to store" sound a bit "obsessive" ...... well yeah, I'm guilty! There was a plan when we designed our retirement home out in the boonies of the San Francisco Bay Area. We bought the land in 2004, spent a year permitting the land and construction details, built in 2006 and moved in the last week of October 2006.

I had a plan for where everything would go and implemented said plan as we moved over several months time from our prior home about 40 miles away. Then about six months ago I started reconfiguring where things "lived" in the new house. It's a classic pattern for me. The actual living in a house for a couple of years, generally dictates where things should really be.

This is one of two closets that sit across from the large store fixture I showed you last week.  This closet is where I used to have all the vintage Fiesta that is now in the kitchen on display.  I had the builder leave the two closets finished, but empty of shelves and added Metropolitan wire racks.  One of the advantages to these racks is that the shelves can be reconfigured as needs change and additional shelves can also be purchased seperately if you want to add them.

I'll show you the other closet next week, but for now here's some of the overflow of current production Fiesta that I use for everyday dinnerware.  I keep about 2 dozen place settings in the kitchen cabinets, but rotate colors and combinations from this closet as the seasons change.  These colors have all been produced since the reintroduction of Fiesta in 1986, although some of them have been discontinued or were limited edition colors produced for only a short period of time.

For those of you who are ardent collectors there is one piece of vintage Fiesta that keeps watch over these new colors, the 12" Turquoise vintage vase to the far left of the top shelf.  Collectors may also notice the lack of any Peacock.  I have only 3 or 4 pieces of this color which is the only Post 86 color I do NOT like.  You can see a list of all the Fiesta colors in a timeline post from last fall. Fiesta® Dinnerware Color Chronology

The framed Fiesta ephemera above the top shelf is l. to r.: article in Country Collectibles on my collection and my remodelled kitchen in the old house, a photo produced for sale by the HLCCA, and a vintage Ensemble Ad.

Next week I'll show you the other built in closet to the left of this one ...... it's pretty disorganized with mostly odd pieces of other lines produced by the Homer Laughlin China Company over the years.  Maybe I'll get inspired and tidy it up a bit for its photo op!

Be sure to stop by my tablescape post for Foodie Friday, to see some of these dishes in action.




18 comments:

  1. I envy your storage....that is the only reason I don't buy more dishes....I have no more room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had all that space for dishes, they look so pretty all displayed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your stoarage acts as display as well. My cabinets, shelves, etc are buldging! It looks so pretty to see all of the color.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I wish I had all that storage. I keep buying things and I have no more room. I do try to get rid of something everytime I bring something in...........but I love all my stuff and its hard to let anything go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello...

    Ohhh my gosh...and I thought I had alot of dishes! Hehe! Of course I knew that you had lots and lots of pretty dishes because I see them every week in those fabulous tablescapes!!! It's really been fun and interesting to see how you store all of your dishes, my friend! You have great storage space and...I just have to say that they look like pieces of art in themselves!!! So many beautiful and vibrant colors!!! I just know that you have to smile every time that you see your shelves!!! Thank you for sharing them with us...and the great storage ideas too!!!

    Warmest winter wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unbelievable the number of dishes. They look fabulous the way you displayed them/.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do such a great job with organizing....I so envy you.

    My show n tell is all about Valentine stuff this week.

    HERE

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great display of your dishes. What a dream to have that much storage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning all you dish lovers!

    I think when you have this many dishes, there is no choice but to get organized! (And don't kid yourself, you are only seeing the places that are fit for view....LOL) Last year (2008) I sold off about 600 lots of dinnerware on ebay....felt so good to get what I kept organized!

    And I guess my feeling is that if I am going to have them, I want to SEE them where I can enjoy them. Need a reason to get motivated about doing laundry?? Just fill the hallway approaching your laundry room with dishes, to give yourself an excuse to pass by and admire them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! And I thought I had a dish addiction! What a great collection and so lucky to have that much visible storage. I wish I had enough areas so I could store my dishes where I could see and enjoy them. I can only see a few of them (sets) at a time.

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are very organized and a great encouragement to getting it together so I can find it when I want it.

    Dish love!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you have a ton of pretty dishes and great places to store them too! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! It looks like you have your own "store"! Can we go shopping at your house? LOL!!! I very envious of all your storage!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh gosh.. what a collection! you got all the colours! soooo beautiful!.. great for big parties! Happy PS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Morning from sunny California!

    Yep, I do have a lot of dishes! I'm guilty. When we built this house a few years ago, I made sure I had at least a few places to keep my dishes, where I could see them. I've found over the years that if I don't see them, they just don't get used or else they are just forgotten.

    Be sure to stop by again on Friday of this week to see the companion to this storage/display closet that sits right next to it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. and I thought I had a lot of dishes, lol! Love this!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Christine -

    Some would say that I have tooo many dishes.

    But I say that one can never have tooo many dishes!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails