Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Good News, Bad News ...... It Will Be OK

Welcome to another edition of Outdoor Wednesday over at A Southern Daydreamer

The news is both good and bad in the garden.  I am a gambler and sometimes things don't
go so well trying to maintain a tropical garden in Zone 10.  This is one of those rare winters
in the garden that Mother Nature took her toll.  It rarely dips below 38F here and that is
usually for a couple of hours in the early morning hours.  In early December we were hit with
a two fisted punch of 32-34F temps and a lot of humidity that turned to heavy frost for three
nights in a row.  The results look disastrous, but I have seen how resiliant plants can be and
so I have great hope for a wonderful gardening season ahead.

Here are some examples of bad news and black mush, which now is gathering all kinds of
mold and nasty bugs to further endanger the garden.  Within a couple of weeks I will feel
comfortable enough to clear out the frozen portions and deadwood, but right now the
protection the damaged plant material gives to the underlying viable parts is important.



This is pretty typical of the damage done to my 200 or so Jade plants.



My Brugmansias (Angel Trumpets) were in full bloom when the cold hit.  Their survival
is questionable, but they most likely will come back from underground.



This is an "evergreen" Salvia that would normally be blooming at this time of year.



This is a succulent Euphorbia, poor thing.  They don't like anything under 50F,
but have done well for years in my garden.



A Day Lily that will certainly come back and is already generating new growth.
Normally these would be a couple of feet tall and loaded with buds by late January.



This Aloe is not a happy camper, but come Spring it will come back.



This is not bad news......beautiful winter color on this ivy growing in an urn on the back terrace.
This is usually green all winter because it doesn't get cold enough here to change color.



The Pineapple Guava didn't miss a beat and will most likely bloom profusely this year.



The Hellebores also didn't even blink at the cold weather, along with others who thrive on
these cooler than normal temperatures.













Even the Canary Island Palms are showing some burning at the end of some fronds, but
they will be just fine!



The birds were totally upset with me yesterday, since I moved their seed bowls
undercover from the latest monsoon storms.



Soon enough they figured out that it wasn't such a bad deal after all!





And another storm started in the night.  Rain is a good thing,
but WOW we're about at the saturation point.


The garden will be back ........ and change can be a good thing.
I do need to prune my roses, but that isn't gonna happen this week!
Here's hoping for warm weather and the happiest of times for you in your gardening endeavors!

7 comments:

  1. great series of photos. nature has its way of rebirth. i love the color of the ivy leaves, and the greens are stunning and vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I know...it's the same for me too. Here in the sub-tropics of the Texas coast we lost a lot of beauty in our yard from winter kill.

    My Wednesday post & sketch can be found HERE. I invite you to stop by for a visit if you can find time in your busy day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! You have a beautiful garden, even with the damaged bits. I love the red ivy, and the shots of the birds in their bowls were really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful plants you got. I think the one that was affected will be alright.

    Snow no More for Outdoor Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you need a "Snuggie" for your plants?!?! LOL! Sorry, just trying to put a smile on your face after a miserable December! You are a GREAT gardener and I know things will come back to life in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are wonderful. As a gardener I know how disheartening extreme weather can be. I love your spirit and hope you are having a wonderful Outdoor Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! Weather is part of the challenge of gardening and I am feeling challenged this year!! LOL

    Melissa - a Snuggie for my plants?? Great idea! Actually I would mind a big circus tent that I could erect over the entire acre every winter. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails