Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Soup's On


So simple, but perfect for these oh so strange chilly days in May!
Seems more like October here in Northern California.


Green Split Pea Soup
1 package dried split peas (approx 20 oz)
12 Cups water
1 medium onion chopped finely
1 carrot diced
4 Tablespoons butter
Salt to taste (the ham bone I use provides plenty of salt without adding more, I also discard the ham "flavoring" packet enclosed with the beans)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
large ham bone with reserved slices of ham diced (I save the bone from the Costco spiral cut ham for this recipe)
Wash and sort beans
Combine peas, water, onion, carrot and butter in cooking pot.
Add ham bone, reserve diced ham.
Cover and bring to boil, boil rapidly for 30 minutes.
Add salt, pepper and diced ham.
Simmer for 30 minutes or longer, stirring occasionally.
Serve in heated bowls, garnish with dollop of sour cream, chopped garlic chives (or regular chives) and a splash of good quality sherry. Croutons as desired or the breadsticks I prefer.


Thanks so much for stopping by today.

I'm joining:

20 comments:

  1. Split Pea Soup is wonderful!! I will be giving you recipe a try! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll try this with our frozen Easter ham bone. Fingers crossed that I can post this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very very pretty...and yummy too. Here from foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making me hungry. Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! We have actually had this twice in the last couple of weeks, what with the unseasonably cool weather and rain. Makes the perfect one dish totally satisfying meal. :-)

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful, beautiful setting and just welcomes you to come enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks sooo yummy and served in great style. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks pretty tasty to me.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recipe and cute post. I love your covered bowls:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The soup looks delicious but I'm most intrigued by the bowl. I've never seen anything quite like that before. Vatican gift shop, perhaps? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cold and dreary again today in Northern California .... what's all this talk we hear about global warming??? It may be another soup night here at The Little Round Table.

    Pattie - nope not the Vatican gift shop, they came from Wisteria a couple years ago.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Candy, thanks so much for linking up at Simple Pleasures. This is simply perfect, and I love split pea soup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Candy,
    I could imagine only deliciously tasty soups coming from such beautiful soup bowls. The're wonderful.
    God Bless
    Barb from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you both for stopping by to check out my soup .... still very chilly here, summer will come someday I hope!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, your pea soup sounds perfect for the May chilly days, even in southern CA! I'm going to make some tonight! Thanks for sharing.

    By the way, I'm hosting 2 Giveaways on my blog, please stop by to enter when you have a chance. One for $50 Thrive products and another one for baking molds and more. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Amy, hope to see you again soon.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails