Thursday, January 6, 2011

Fresh Freezer Food


It's Foodie Friday over at Designs By Gollum, come join the fun!

A few weeks ago I made several batches of cheese-less pesto for the freezer.


No Cheese Pesto
4-5 C basil (packed firmly)
4-6 cloves garlic
1/2 C pine nuts
1/2 tsp salt
1 - 1 1/4 C olive oil
Add all ingredients except oil to food processor and pulse a few times to mix it up. Slowly add the oil and process until smooth. Taste for desired saltiness. You can use this right away or freeze it. 
Just thaw and it can be used on salads, in dips, or tossed with pasta. Oh so very yummy!


The salad tomatoes and basil are actually "fresh" from the garden shed.
I washed them when I was doing a final harvest a few weeks ago.


Some became the most beautiful "red sauce" that also went into the freezer 
..... check out the lovely color below!  The others were put on open racks in the garden shed, where weeks later they are still firm and tasty for salads.  It hasn't dropped below about 38F, so the shed is acting as the perfect cold storage area for the last of this year's veggies. Even some of the basil hanging in bunches is still fresh enough for garnish on today's salad. I'll be combining the thawed sauce with a bit of the pesto and tossing it on some pasta to go with the salad.  


Thanks for stopping by for a bit of "freezer food."

11 comments:

  1. What lovely tomatoes, Candy! You garden, you cook, you tablescape - how talented you are! Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy, girl...you just blow me away with all your talents.
    These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ditto the comments above!! What CAN"T you do:):) This all sounds and LOOKS so yummy!!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH my goodness. I am just shaking my head in pure awe. Gorgeous gorgeous GORGEOUS!!! I was introduced to your blog through Courtney's feature on you- I'm so glad she did! I've signed up to follow- I was first drawn in by your incredible kitchen (!) and all of your inspiring tablesettings. Can't wait to see more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to always keep pesto in the freezer, but have never tried a recipe without cheese. Tossing it with tomatoes sounds so good and garden fresh. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Candy,
    you made my mouth watering with those photos and recipe ideas. Thank you.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those tomatoes with your gorgeous pesto are making me long for summer :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tomatoes are not quite as good as warm from the summer garden, but surely a step above store bought. Not many left so I am savoring them .... and the good news is Mr. TLRT doesn't eat fresh tomatoes! More for me. LOL

    Candy

    PS There are many things I can not do. I can't sing or dance or play a musical instrument, many other things I am incapable of too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful photos. The color of all the veggies together would look good framed on my kitchen wall....hmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the recipe. I will refer my friend to visit your blog since she's on a straight dairy free diet. I'm sure she'll love this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Donnie and Amy, I'm glad you stopped by to visit. Spring will be here soon ....

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails