Friday, January 7, 2011

A Tale of Three Lamps


I'm reposting this for Vintage Black Friday over at The French Cupboard

A Tale of Three Lamps

It was pretty common in the 1950s to make vases into lovely table lamps.  These two belonged to my folks and they came to live with me about 10 years ago.  They evoke memories of times past, where they sat on side tables and lighted a family's activities.  I replaced the shades as the originals were thread bare and am happy to say that they very closely replicate the original shades.  The treasure trove of lampshades at Finishing Touch Home Decor in Walnut Creek, CA gives you many choices for making your lamp all it can be.  Be sure to take your lamp(s) with you if you visit a lamp shade shop.  It's just like shopping for a new outfit, you need to take "the body" with you for a proper fit. All three of these shades were off the shelf, not custom made.

This was a vase picked up in Greece and it originally had a foot that matched the body of the vase.  The lamp maker cut off the foot and added the brass embellishments and marble base.  It's a much prettier lamp than it was as a vase.




This glossy black vase became a lamp too. It's original shade was yellow silk pleated very much like the replacement I chose.  To replicate the yellow would have been about three times the cost as the off the shelf version.




And a third lamp that received the perfect little shade is a vintage Fiesta Syrup in Cobalt.  These were made into lamps back in the day, but mine had lost its shade somewhere in the intervening decades.



And an old image from when I acquired the Fiesta Syrup Lamp about 10 years ago.  Somehow I manage to work Fiesta into most every post in one way or another.



This post was originally posted in 2009:
My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday

15 comments:

  1. Your lamps are so beautiful! I love the shade on the black one!! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What utterly beautiful lamps and lamp shades....love all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your lamps. I didn't know that it was popular to make lamps out of vases. It's wonderful that these were passed down to you.
    Blessings,
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lamps are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!!! Everything!!! From the painting behind the first lamp in the first photo...right down to the shoes on the end table!! Love it all, I do.

    Mine today is just a sketch I drew. [along with a little worksheet share for a simple craft project....AND links to my photos of the trip to the zoo!!! LOL ---a busy post.]

    Click HERE

    Have a glorious Friday, and super weekend.!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful lamps! So much prettier than something modern and mass produced!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful lamps and pictures. I am amazed at the beautiful pictures so many of you post!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning All! Thanks for the lovely comments on my lamps, they do hold lots of memories and are a daily reminder of what a simple lamp shade can do for a lonely old lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty lamps what wonderful treasures I just love the colors of them certainly not a boring old lamp!~Blessings Heather ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. You lamp are lovely! Great colors, they have held their age well. I love such treasures with such wonderful history!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great lamps. I would never have thought to turn a vase into a lamp, but these are so terrific.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely collection of lamps! Stop by for a visit soon!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your lamps! They are so beautiful! And true family pieces. I think the first one, the Greek one, is much prettier than what I imagine the vase would have looked like. Thank you so much for sharing!-April

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone! I love this time of year when it is getting darker earlier, gives me an excuse to turn on these lamps to brighten up the dark corners of rooms. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails