Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fancy Hats

are hosting Vintage Black Friday again today.
Please drop by with your link-ups to something black and vintage!


I'm also joining Cindy over at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday.
It's the 1 year Anniversary edition!


These are vintage German peasant hats from Bavaria, worn mainly for special occasions
and on Sunday strolls along country village roads.  Women and girls were still wearing
these in the years after World War II, but they first became popular around the turn
of the twentieth century.

The backs.





Some were fairly simple, but most had lace and silk ribbons in addition to the
woven metallic threads formed over a wire frame.  They look rather like peacock's
feathers as they fan out over the back of the head.  Mine have been in our family
since the early 1950s and I treasure them.





Thanks for coming by to visit, hope to see you again next month for another
Vintage Black Friday.

12 comments:

  1. These are beautiful vintage hats and the lace is so delicate. PS I like your music...and stoled a few for my playlist. I hope you don't mind. Thank you Decgal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hats are so beautiful! I've never seen anything like them! You have a wonderful treasure on your hands. Thanks for sharing.
    ~HOlly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! How lovely to have such family treasures. Those bonnets are so very exotic and sculptural. Beautiful.
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neato, Candy. Is this a mother/daughter set? Any chance there's a photo of you and your mother wearing them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How elegant! I'd never seen the Bavarian hats till now - I'm more familiar with the Schwarzwald hats, with the large red pompoms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for coming by to see my pretties, I appreciate your nice comments. These have been stored for a long time and I'm enjoying having them out again.

    Daphne, I actually wore the smaller one for Halloween one year when I was a pre-teen ..... man that was a long long long time ago! LOL

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are fabulous!!!!! So happy I stopped by ~ enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love hats!! I have a small collection!! Your hats are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those hats are just wonderful, I love the look! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are the most beautiful examples of tradition and workmanship I've seen in a long while... how lucky you are to have these in your family! Thanks for sharing. :) mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooo wow!! Those are great. I have really never seen one (or 2 for that matter) You are so lucky to have such amazing heirlooms. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm pleased that you all enjoyed seeing these so very old girly hats. So different that what today's world is all about. :-)

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails