Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tomato 'Mexico'


Not the prettiest tomato from the garden ..... but oh the tastiness of it!
This is an heirloom tomato called 'Mexico'



After suffering a devastating bout with tomato blight last season, this year I have
more tomatoes than I can eat. (Mr. TLRT only eats cooked tomatoes!) So this week, 
I'll be cooking up sauce for the dark and dreary winter season to come.




*************
Quick Red Sauce
BIG Bowl of fresh tomatoes
2 medium onions chopped
3 large tomatillos, these give the sauce an underlying sweetness - Yum!
1-2 large Bell Peppers - red, orange, yellow preferred
4 good sized hot peppers
4 cloves of garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste

No peeling or constant stirring necessary. Cook down to desired consistancy,
use a food processor to get desired texture, put back in cooking pot to simmer.
Add chopped bell peppers for about 5 minutes or until just barely softened.
Serve over pasta and it's a delight from the garden.
****************



I get all my tomato plants from my favorite local nursery, which is 5 minutes from my garden!





I'm joining Michael Lee over at Designs By Gollum for Foodie Friday
I'm joining all the Outdoor Wednesday enthusiasts over at A Southern Daydreamer

12 comments:

  1. I dearly love tomatoes. Yours really look good. Wish had a big one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! We're having great results on our tomatoes this year too. I made a marinara sauce yesterday for the first time. I'd love to can a huge batch, but I'm intimidated by all the stirring involved in cooking the tomatoes down. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candy, I'm afraid I'm a kindered spirit with your husband. I, too, only eat cooked tomatoes. My husband doesn't understand me. LOL ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since we had no power for a good portion of yesterday, I spent the time making some great sauce of goodies from the garden.

    Ellie, I don't really use a "recipe" or bother with all that stirring. Yesterday I used a big bowl of all kinds of tomatoes from the garden .... over flowing with just plain yumminess! A couple of medium sized onions, 4 hot peppers, one very large yellow bell pepper. Simmer for any number of hours until it cooks down to a nice consistency. The pour it in batches into a food processor. I don't peel the tomatoes or seed them (I do seed the hot peppers), no stirring except to occasionally check the pot. The sweetest tastiest stuff ever!! It is amazing what FRESH tomatoes can do for a red sauce!

    Now I'm hungry!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to mention that I also added 3 good sized fresh tomatillios from the garden. That's one of the things that adds that extra level of underlying sweetness to cut the acidity of the tomatoes!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love tomatoes and luckily my family does too. IWe have a yellow tomato that has been producing all summer long and they are so sweet. I keep them on the window sill in front of the sink where we can just cut them up and eat them with all our meals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've really learned to appreciate the heirloom tomato varieties - they are so flavorful! Beautiful pics - happy FF.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  8. your heirlooms look amazing! i roast the tomatoes, too ... your sauce recipe, though, looks like one i should try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous heriloom tomatoes! I've seen the Mexico listed in the seed catalogs but haven't grown it. I'll have to do that next year :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. A former co-worker shared some homegrown tomatoes with me today. I made a delicious creamy soup with the four biggest ones, froze a quart to use in chili this fall and sliced the rest to warm on a plate with slice of fresh motzarella cheese inbetween. YUM

    Aren't August tomatoes the greatest?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmmm .......... my newest "breakfast" favorite is a bowl of tomatoes. They are the perfect food!

    Thank you all for coming by!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails