Friday, January 14, 2011

Saturday Night Special - $3 Tablecloth

I'm joining in on Saturday Night Special over at Funky Junk Interiors
Jump on over and check out all of this week's DIY projects.


(If this looks familiar to some of you, it's probably because it was
previously posted for SNS#20 if I recall correctly.)

This is a tablecloth I did as a test project in preparation for some
future ideas for pillows and wall art. I've been admiring all the vintage grain and feed sacks being used for home decor and on upholstered furniture pieces for a long time now, but most of these pieces are pretty pricey and I'm not sure how long "the look" would keep me entranced. There are some
wonderful pieces over at Three Fine Grains to look at.

So a quick project with a $3 piece of burlap became a test of how I might recreate something similar.  I used a combination of stencils and rubber stamps with some craft paint to turn the burlap into this tablecloth with a little French twist.  I've washed it a couple of times to soften it up and I think this idea could be adapted to just about any fabric or tablecloth that you have around for birthdays, holidays, theme parties.

I have some old picture frames and some art canvas on stretchers which I
will be turning into "feed sack" art now that I've tested the waters. I'll be
back with those in the future, assuming they turn out as I see them in
my mind's eye and I can find my staple gun.


I love mixing the "plain and fancy" together to get this rustic look ...... add a
nice bottle of Champagne to start and I'm on my way to France!






That's a T L R T circling the center ..... The Little Round Table now has a monogram!







This silver butter dish was a wedding gift.





This is a Martha pitcher that I've had for years.



Vera Wang "Infinity" crystal.


This little silver plated bell graced my family's dinner table all the years
I was growing up and most of the plating has worn off over the years.


Thanks for stopping by again this week!

15 comments:

  1. Wow, what a stunning table setting! I am loving the stamped detal on the burlap, but the extra touch of having a double table cloth really does it for me. Love the layered effect.

    Thanks for linking up to SNS!
    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really turned out pretty. I can't believe how lovely it is. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job...what a wonderful place to enjoy a meal! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fabulous. You have definitely inspired me. I saw burlap tonight at Joann Fabrics and I was thinking about doing a project. Everything ties in so well. I have never seen covered bowls like that. You didn't specifically mention them in your post, where did you get them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tablecloth - you did a great job! Love the Martha pitcher and your little bell really goes with the tablecloth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's beautiful! I just slipcovered a little footstool with burlap and was thinking about making a tablecover out of it too! Your's is very inspiring!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty. Those little covered crown bowls are so special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your lovely comments! Such a quick and easy project too .... the best kind. :-)

    I ordered the bowls from a catalog, which one escapes me at the moment .... will have to go search for the receipt.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so nice Candy. It really looks great, and your table setting compliments the burlap in such a unique way.

    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Polly! So glad you could stop by and I do appreciate the feedback.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you grow up in Germany? I saw your picture picking wildflowers ...I live in Germany now;hubby is in the Army. LOVE it, and LOVE your blog!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rachel!

    Thanks for stopping by! And yes I spent a lot of time (9 years) in Germany as a kid. From 1948 - 1957 as a dependent of a Department of Defense family, so we stuck around and didn't get rotated out like all the military every 3 years or so.

    Lived in a hotel in Bad Schwalbach for a few months, then in Frankfurt when it was still a compound with 20' tall fences. Well maybe not 20 feet tall, but remember I was a 5 year old! Then in Schwetzingen for a few years, then in Heidelberg about 4 blocks directly up the hill from the main gate of headquarters, and finally in the barracks like Patrick Henry Village built outside of Heidelberg, when all the occupied homes were returned to the population.

    It was a great way to grow up and I loved all my adventures!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your table is just beautiful...great job...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really pretty...love the rustic and refined together as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Tonja and Pamma, I do appreciate you coming by to check out my tablecloth.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails