Thursday, March 10, 2011

Rabbit or Hare?

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about rabbits!
Did you know?
  • Rabbits are not rodents, they are lagomorphs.
  • The gestation period for a rabbit averages 31 days.
  • A rabbits teeth never stop growing.
  • Rabbits can purr similar to a cat.
  • Rabbits do not hibernate.
  • Rabbits can see behind them, but have a blind spot in front of their face.
  • Predators can literally scare a rabbit to death.
  • Domestic rabbits cannot breed with wild rabbits.
  • The only place a rabbit sweats is through the pads on its feet.
  • When rabbits are happy, they will jump and twist, this is called a binky.



Rabbit or Hare ?

  • Hares are generally larger and faster than rabbits.
  • Hares have longer ears and larger feet than rabbits.
  • Rabbits' young are born blind and hairless and need care.
  • Hares are born with hair, can see, and can fend for themselves quickly.
  • A young hare is called a leveret and a young rabbit is called a kitten or bunny.
  • Hares have very long and strong hind legs, more so than rabbits.
  • Rabbits and hares both molt and then grow new hair.
  • Rabbits and hares have short tails.
  • Most rabbits,except the cottontail, live underground in burrows or warrens.
  • Hares live in simple nests above the ground (as does the cottontail).
  • Rabbits are very social animals; they live in colonies.
  • Hares live most of the time by themselves.
  • Rabbits prefer soft stems, grass or vegetables.
  • Hares eat more bark, buds, small twigs and shoots.
  • Both rabbits and hares breed prolifically, bearing four to eight litters/year.


I'm just calling all these guys "bunnies" and they are getting ready to
shine during the upcoming Easter season.

Thanks for stopping by for the Spring Cloche Party over at

21 comments:

  1. Cute cloches and thanks for all the info on hares and rabbits...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting info, thanks!!! LOVE that etched cloche!!! hugs...cleo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love what you did to yours they are so cute !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me feel all binky cause they are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The watercolor of the hare on the left at the top of your post is called "A Young Hare" by Albrecht Durer. He painted it in 1502. I don't know much about any artists -- except for him! I learned about him extensively a few years ago. To my surprise, a year ago I was packing up Easter items I had not used in years and one of the hand-painted eggs I had collected was of The Young Hare and even had the AD initials on it.

    Enjoyed your post! We find baby rabbits on our property each spring. They're SO tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun, informative post ... & beautiful bunny family cloches.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day ~
    Have a lovely eve ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    CSN GIVEAWAY ENDS 3/17

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those last guys are my favorites.. thanks for all the information... Come on spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable bunnies! I love them, and all the information. I learned things I did not know. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading all that information on the Rabbits. Your display of cloches is beautiful and I really enjoyed going back and looking at the ones for each season. Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such cute bunnies! Thanks for the peek at Easter decor to come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are adorable! Thank you for sharing!

    I am visiting from chic on a shoestring, I would love if you could stop by www.mooseandtater.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sooo Cute!!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Candy, that etched cloch is stunning! I love the little bunny family in the other cloche, and your pretty plaid bow is the perfect fnishing touch. Very interesting info. I had forgotten that rabbits could see behind themselves. Thanks for linking to Favorite Things. I hope you have a great weekend. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of your cloches and bunnies are very sweet, but I am loving the bunny family! And thank you for the info on the rabbit and hares...it is fascinating. My daughter has a pet rabbit form many years and I didn't really know anything about them!

    Happy Weekend, Candy!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cloches and bunnies are so darling!!! What a sweet post! Thanks for sharing this at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was so interesting and your collection of bunnies/hares is so cute! I wonder what the bunnies do in the winter if they are not hibernating? I guess this month we will see March Hares and next month will be time for the Easter Bunny! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. All the bunnies and I thank you for visiting and for your sweet comments! Spring and Easter are coming up soon, so I'm sure these guys will be making additional appearances here on The Little Round Table.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, these are just fabulous. I love the etched cloche, so gorgeous and the crocheted bunny and eggs are just darling. The second cloche with the bunnies are so cute all dressed up. I also really loved seeing all the other cloches. Thanks so much for joining the party. These are fabulous. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  19. Educational info, TY a bunch.

    Lovely collection, indeed!

    Greetings from Stockholm, Sweden.
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cloches are so sweet... I must find one too! I've admired them for a while now...
    The bunnies under the clear dome make a dear centerpiece!
    Happy Weekend to you ~
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much ladies, the cloche is an easy and quick little decorating trick that I love!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails