Thursday, February 18, 2010

Let's Do Italian! Foodie Friday 1st Anniversary

Foodie Friday is upon us again, hosted by Michael Lee West over at Designs By Gollum.
Gather up your dishes and some great recipes and join the party!

Maybe it's the influence of the Winter Olympics ..... the first thing I thought when
I went to set this table was "The Italian Flag," so it is gonna be spaghetti with
meat sauce, a salad, and some crusty bread ............. that will be as close to Italy as we get,
at least for this week.



This vintage tablecloth is set with Post 86 Fiesta in White, Shamrock and Scarlet.  The disc pitcher and covered casserole are Black Fiesta.  The white milk pitcher is vintage Homer Laughlin Ironstone, flatware is Cityscape, napkins from Bed Bath Beyond,
glassware from Home Goods, napkin rings from Crate and Barrel years ago.














Red Sauce With Sweet Bell Peppers

There is no real recipe for this red meat sauce, there is a list of ingredients that vary with what's
in season and what I still have available from last year's garden.
1 - 1 1/2 pounds Ground beef
1 med onion diced (garden fresh if available)
1 1/2 large bell peppers, red and/or orange
(1/2 C diced, 1 cup in thin strips)
1 C chopped celery
2 tablespoons fresh oregano
2 dried hot chilies
salt and pepper to taste
Your own tomato sauce or store bought (I've used all of mine from last summer, so
I'm back to Golden Grain brand marinara sauce)
1 Cup of Water
Freshly grated Parmesan
Pasta of your choice, I like thin spaghetti for this sauce

Saute beef, diced onion, 1/2 C diced bell pepper, chopped celery, crumble chilis over
mixture add oregano, salt and pepper to taste, stir in tomato sauce + 1 Cup Water and
simmer for 1-3 hours.  Prepare pasta, top with meat sauce, add the still crunchy strips of
sweet peppers, add parmesan and enjoy!

The only thing different about this sauce is that I reserve 1 C of the bell peppers cut in strips, flash fry them momentarily so they retain some of their crunchiness and add them
at the last minute along with the parmesan.

Even Mr. TLRT likes this sauce and he's not a real fan of sweet peppers.

9 comments:

  1. Well, as Italian as I am, I have to love this, right??! Fabulous table and who doesn't love a beautiful red sauce!? Lovely!
    xoxo Pattie and Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this is right up my alley! I love pasta and often crave it! Yay...now I know what my hubby and I are making for dinner this weekend! I cannot wait to try this recipe! Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies, I'm glad you enjoyed my post. It's still pretty early here in California, but for some reason I'm craving red sauce! LOL

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that white pitcher. This is so pretty and colorful. I love that little leprechaun in your header! How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay...you have officially made me VERY hungry, lol. This looks delightful and I love your tablescape...so festive!!

    Blessing!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sherry and Mrs P !

    I'm warming up the pasta for breakfast Mrs P !!

    Sherry, that'a a little bee keeper and you can see the whole tablescape (and chicken picatta) at this link Woodland Tablescape


    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Italian cooking. Your recipe sounds delish:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE!!! the red roses on your tablecloth and what a GREAT!!! dish to make with all the red roses.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, it is delish! I hope to have some real roses soon for my daily table ...... its raining again, but sun is due tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails