Sunday, February 14, 2010

Birdhouse Garden Decor

I'm joining in on Metamorphosis Monday over at
Between Naps On The Porch hosted by Susan.

And I'm also linking up for Outdoor Wednesday over at
A Southern Daydreamer

Although Spring isn't here yet here in Northern California,
we are getting some sunshine and warmer days.  I'm cleaning away all the debris
from a winter of extremely cold temperatures that caused more damage than usual
to my garden.  Many little succulents have frozen stems, but the rescued heads and
intact pieces can be urged back to their former beauty.

I haven't done any new bird houses in a few years, but I went rooting around
in my garden shed and found some candidates for improvement.

What You Need:
Birdhouse
Spaghnum Moss
Hot Glue Gun

Optional wood trim - I added some wood trim about 1" tall all around the roof
edges to hold a small amount of potting soil, the plants and the moss.
Glue the moss to the wood trim pieces and begin wedging your plants and more moss over the roof surface. Just play with it until it is "set". It will stabilize as the plants begin to root and settle in.

Instant gratification and a roof reminiscent of the sod roofs so common in
Europe when I was a kid.



Please check in at The Little Round Table to see the Presidents' Day Tablescape
and again on Tuesday for a Mardis Gras Tablescape. 

22 comments:

  1. Those birdhouses are darling. What a great idea. I have several birdhouses that I collected and was thinking of taking them to a consignment shop to sell, but now I may keep a couple and try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how darling! I love this birdhouse! Too cute. Hope you've had a wonderful Valentine's Day.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are adorable little birdhouse/succulent gardens. Thanks for sharing...now I know what I can do with a couple hanging around here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is So cute! I've never seen anything like it. Lisa~ www.livingmybestlifeii-lisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there
    This is sooooo cute. When we finally get summer and can plant in another 3 months I am going to give this a try. Love it!
    Come by and visit sometime..
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty birdhouse flower pot! It speaks of SPRING to me! :-)

    ♥ Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are ingenious. So homey, I would move in and pretend I was in England if i was a bird. Just a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea to dress up the birdhouses this way. :) I love it!
    Sandra (My Bella Rose)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are both beautiful. I never thought of doing this to a birdhouse, what a lovely idea.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bird house is so cute and the colors compliment!

    You are so artistic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a hoot or should I say peep? That bird house is cute as a button.
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's obvious you're in the mood for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sooooooooooooooooo ready for Spring. These birdhouses are so cute. Thanks for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love those. I am a visual person and would need to see step by step instruction but I would like to try this sometime.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think one of those just might have to join my birdhouse family. It's so adorable. Thanks for sharing.
    Ann
    Tin and sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so pretty! Happy Outdoor Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love what you have done to your birdhouses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is beautiful, thanks for sharing !
    Blessings,
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good Morning Bird Lovers!!

    These are so fun and easy to do! If any of you do decorate your bird houses, I'd love to see them!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails