Monday, April 18, 2011

Salt and Pepper For Easter

This is really the second chapter of a post from a few weeks ago called

If you aren't familiar with the story of the Shmoo, here's just a bit about them.
Al Capp's Shmoo became a national craze when it appeared in his classic comic strip Li'l Abner from August - December 1948. A Shmoo was an armless pear-shaped character who loved humans, laid eggs and bottles of Grade A milk in an instant. The Shmoo would gladly die by changing itself into a sizzling steak, if its owner merely looked at it hungrily. Its skin was fine leather, its eyes made perfect buttons and even its whiskers made excellent toothpicks.

Shmoos multiplied much faster than rabbits
.... so owning a pair of Shmoos meant that any family was self-sufficient. Of course the Shmoos proved too good for humanity's sake and therein was the basis for Capp's ultimate (and tragic) satire. A remarkable phenomenon occurred during the telling of his tale. Virtually overnight the entire country became Shmoo-struck. The character's remarkable success catapulted Capp to an all-new level of wealth and fame. It is difficult, 60+ years later, to convey to new generations the profound impact the lovable Shmoo had on American culture.

This little Easter Bunny is here to tell you that Shmoos really do multiply faster than rabbits.

From this .... 
to this, in a matter of weeks!
Eva Zeisel's Red Wing Pottery Town and Country Salt and Pepper,
designed1945-1946, produced 1947-circa 1950
The crystal basket was my mother's, the little bunny
was a gift from a friend many years ago.
Two piece hard plastic vintage egg holder made in West Germany in the early 1950s.  This is the only  one from a set of 6-8 that survived my childhood .

Vintage tablecloth from my collection
Contemporary Fiesta in Lemongrass, White and Tangerine
Vintage Fiesta berry bowls in Turf Green
Contemporary Fiesta vase in Paprika
Flatware and napkins from Home Goods
Glassware and green bunnies from Pier 1
Egg candles, mini Easter ornaments from Michael's


Happy Easter to all of you and thanks for stopping by!
More Easter tables coming up in the next few days, so please stop by again.


I'm joining:

20 comments:

  1. The Shmoo Family are wonderful Easter guests! What a charming group. It's great to see that egg holder again, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky you are to have those Shmoos.....my brother always read me Lil Abner when I was little.......Sparkle Plenty was my fav.....hugs...cleo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun, silly, sweet, and inspiring post! It's a beautiful table, and so very creative. That little mushroom house egg holder is my FAVORITE.
    Your tablescapes always take my breath away. Beautiful!
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Colorful! Gorgeousness! Lovely post and such an inspiring table.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tablescape! I love the colors and the little salt and pepper shakers are adorable. I've never seen them before. I'll have to keep my eyes out. The tablecloth is great too. I love vintage linens.
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for coming by everyone! Lovin' my Shmoos on this Easter table. :-)

    A couple more Easter tables coming up later this week, so I do hope you'll all come by for some more Easter treats!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha, ha I've never heard of a shmoo before, but your table is lovely as always.

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and festive as always. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shmoo Who??? I haven't heard of Shmoos either, but I love them already!
    Your table is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! The colors are so happy. Love your kitchen!
    Thanks so much for linking up for Treasure Hunt Thursday.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  10. i ADORE the shmoo s&p shakers and i LOVE your vase arrangement..GORGEOUS eye candy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Now you're going Shmoo Crazy too! :) Very cute! I love your tablecloth too!

    HaPpY vInTaGe ThInGiE tHuRsDaY!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your kitchen is lovely and I love the tablecloth. I would love to come by for brunch one day. Cute Shmoos :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks ladies! I think I have enough Shmoos to last me awhile Sarah! LOL

    Stop by for a couple more Easter tables coming up!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness - they are so cool! I've never heard of them,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Maureen and Monica!

    The Shmoos are silly and adorable and aways make me smile!

    So happy you stopped by to visit.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw this on Etsy and it reminded me of something I saw on your blog awhile back. Thought I'd send you the link in case you're collecting! :)

    Sarah
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/70646156/vintage-tablecloth-south-american

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am learning so much on your blog!! I Love these Shmoos!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails