Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sunday Favorites: Vintage Thingies From Grandma's Dresser

I'm joining Chari for her Sunday Favorites over at Happy To Design


This is a compilation of two posts originally published in January of 2010.

******************
Today I'd like to share some keepsakes from one of my grandmothers.  These were some of her
favorite things and I loved looking at the pretties she kept nearby. The dresser scarf is one
that she embroidered and added the crochetted edge to.


One of the atomizers from her dresser top that she let me play
with as a child and some of her hat pins.


Garnets were her favorite and she had quite a collection of them.



A handmade hankie with one of her favorite brooches.  Grandma would be right
in style with the renewed interest in crowns these days.


One of her favorite tea cups.  We all have a few of them and I think of her
everytime I see this pretty one with all its roses.


Her folding ruler that was always right at her sewing table,
it fascinated me as a child.


And her very stylish plastic handbag that still looks brand new.  She wore it everywhere
and changed out the hankie liner to match her outfit.  Grandma was a stylish gal!!


Additional information published as a follow up to the original post,
with more information on the handbag.

It was made by Majestic in the 1950s with Lucite most likely provided to the company by DuPont.  The gold lamé  liner in the bottom is stamped with the Majestic mark.  If you do a Google search with the keywords Majestic lucite handbag and do some poking around you can come up with some additional styles.  Enjoy!

Here are a few I found.

Same style as Grandma's, but more elaborate. Cost in UK around $284 + shipping to US

Similar style, but with red leather and Lucite.





Thanks so much for coming by again for Sunday Favorites!

11 comments:

  1. Oh!!! My heart beat faster just looking at all these treasures. You are so blessed to have all these wonderful items from your grandmother! They are all so beautiful and I'm sure hold so many memories for you!

    The follow up photos with the purse are fabulous! I'd never heard of these! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute. I have some hankies that belonged to my grandmother. I don't know that she ever used them, but my aunt tells me they were hers. That handbag still is quite striking, isn't it? Such lovely memories everything must bring back to you.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely memories to share. I love that you have these special items out where you can look at them and enjoy them. Have a blessed Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, all of these treasures are so special and they look so pretty sitting together. I had never seen a handbag like that. It is precious, especially with the hankie lining it. I would never put it away and have it displayed where I could admire it all the time. Precious.

    Glad you shared with us. Have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great handbag! I love seeing this tribute to your grandmother again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How intriguing is that plastic purse. What wonderful memories you have of your grandmother. I love the embroidered scarf, I'm very sentimental towards those, we were taught embroidery and edging for pillowcases, scarves and many other items, but it seems to be a very underappreciated art nowadays. Congratulations on having so many lovely material memories of your grandma, I'm sure she was a wonderful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting treasure you have. love your cup very much, its a real beauty...
    hope you would like to pay a visit to me at
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Candy...

    What a sweet post to share with us for Sunday Favorites this week, my friend! Ohhh my...your grandmother certainly was a stylish lady! I really enjoyed seeing a few of her treasures! What sweet memories these thing must hold for you...such precious treasures! Thank you so much for sharing them with us for Sunday Favorites!

    Warmest autumn wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by to see some of my Grandma's treasures! I'm so happy you enjoyed sharing my memories.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  10. just beautiful..Love those hummingbirds in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! They are a constant source of amusement ... doesn't take much to make me smile. :-)

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails