Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Come To The Fair!

1939 New York World's Fair
Vintage linen tablecloth with a map of the 1939 New York World's Fair grounds and surrounding attractions.
At the 1939 New York World's Fair, five potteries participated in creating the
"American Potter Exhibit" in partnership with the National Brotherhood of Operative Potters Union.  The sponsors of the exhibit were The Cronin China Company, The Hall China Company, The Edwin M. Knowles China Company, The Homer Laughlin China Company and The Paden City Pottery Company.
On the tablecloth map the "Home Furnishings Building" (the name was changed in 1940 to the "America At Home Building") is identified merely as "Shelter" most likely because of space constraints of the design.  The pottery exhibit was the only exhibit that continued in the building, all the other exhibits were new in 1940.
A foldout souvenir from the pottery exhibit has 16 pages of information.
Shown below are some of the souvenir pieces from the fair.
Some of the items were actually made at the fair in an onsite kiln, while others were made at the participating potteries.
If you would like to see the additional pages from the brochure,
please click the following link 1939 Fair Brochure.
Some examples of souvenirs from the fair in my collection.
Thanks for coming by for a look back 70 years at some of my Vintage Thingies!

10 comments:

  1. Holy mole-ee girl. You have quite a collection there. You never cease to amaze me. Did you find a lot of this in one place or has it come to you in bits and pieces. I...I just don't know what to say. Truly unique! Happy Thanksgiving!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful collection! I really enjoyed viewing your items, Thank You! Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a great trip to the fair, Candy! The selection in your souvenir "store" is just FAB! The colors in the tablecloth are perfect for the pottery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great collection and great post! I wish I could have been at the fair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Candy,
    that's a stunning part of your interesting collection. I am thrilled that you have not only the tablecloth but also so many plates and mugs etc. from that fair. Really great collection.
    Thank you for showing us this.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post! I love the tablecloth and then look at all those interesting plates! Nice post. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous collection -- beautiful and interesting! I especially love the plates with trees, depicting various activities. How great to have pottery depicting pottery making. Your tablecloth is wonderful! I love vintage tablecloths. As a matter of fact, I have an oval like the one you are giving away! It's on my table now. thank you for linking up. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate your lovely comments and I'm so pleased you all enjoyed seeing some of my World's Fair items. I collected them over about a 10 year period, but haven't added anything until the resent acquisition of the tablecloth.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails