Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sunday Favorites: Inversé Glassware Rack

It's Sunday, which means it is time again for  Sunday Favorites
over at Happy to Design.
Join in on the fun and post a link to a past favorite post from your blog.
*****************


Today I'm not picking a personal favorite, instead I'm choosing to show you the
MOST visited link on my blog since I began posting back in August of 2009......
I can't say why it is so popular, but it is always visited for some reason!

Originally posted November 22, 2009

I've had this Inversé (inverted) glassware rack for about 10 years.  It's been in storage for three years since we moved to the new house.  Oddly enough I found the perfect storage solution for the rack by placing it inside an unused metal garbage container. Not as awful as that sounds, in that it was new and never used for garbage. (I think I bought the rack from Napa Style, which offers the same/similar rack now in a sealed rust finish.)

Now I've pulled it out to repurpose it as a display rack.  I never found it very functional as a glassware rack, either for out on the counter storage or as a drying rack which was its intended purpose.  After a series of incidents with glasses becoming unbalanced and lotsa breakage, it was relegated to the nether world.  Cute idea, but my experience was that my glassware was either too large or would not balance safely unless I stood there and watched it!

Displaying mugs and cups is always a problem for me and I have a large number of mugs, little pitchers, and children's cups/mugs that are usually languishing in a closet or box because there just is no good way to display them all.

This may turn out to be a major dust magnet and a passing fancy, but for now I'm just happy to see some of these orphan mugs and cups brought out of storage and back out into the light of day.




14 comments:

  1. What a fun way to display souvenir mugs! Each mug tells a story. I enjoy your blog. Great photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen anything like this! I need to have one. love it!
    happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pig riding the goose mugs!!! A fun "topper" would be a great tea or coffee pot!
    I'm curious to know, why are things labeled "Tom and Jerry"? I see it all the time (my favorite was a Christmas milk glass punch bowl and cups), and was wondering if you knew what the history was...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put the pot of coffee on. May I use the Johnny Carson mug please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a cute idea, and neat to see the variety here. I see some familiar ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mugs and cups are still living on this rack after almost 6 months and not as dusty as I expected it to be! I sure use them a lot more than I used to when they lived in boxes. :-)

    Re: Tom and Jerry

    Back in the day ....... think 30's - 50's there was a popular drink concoction called "Tom and Jerry". It's pretty nasty in my opinion and I generally serve eggnog as a replacement for the original. You can see one of my Tom and Jerry bowls (it has ring handled vintage Fiesta mugs to match) and the recipe for the drink on this link: http://happenstancestuffhappens.blogspot.com/2009/12/advent-calendars-tom-and-jerry-plus.html

    The Tom and Jerry mug shown on the rack goes to a generic Homer Laughlin China Tom and Jerry bowl, with its own HLC mugs.

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori - I forgot to mention that you probably picked one of the pricier of the mugs that show up in the images! ;-) These things were going for big bucks during the couple of months following Johnny's death. This is one of the mugs (made by Homer Laughlin) that was on his desk during the many years of The Tonight Show. Several different companies made these mugs over the decades he hosted the show.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's a fun collection and I love the rack!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super Cool! I love it. Was it a passing fancy or are you still using it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun idea to arrange all the mugs like a tree. I see all kinds of fun ones. Love the idea. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is creative re-purposing! I love the collection of mugs and pitchers -- what fun! Great idea... Cass

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!! That's the biggest mug tree I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Candy...

    Girl, I just had to laugh at Keetha's comment above! It truly is the biggest mug tree I've ever seen as well! Hehe! Seriously though...I love it! It's so unique and it makes such a grand statement! It really is a piece of art all in itself with all of your pretty cups!!! I love, love, LOVE IT!!! Loved looking at some of your beautiful vintage cups, creamers, etc...as well! This was a great post...I certainly can see why it is one the your most visited posts! Thank you for sharing it with us today for Sunday Favorites...such a treat!!!

    Hope that you're having a super Sunday, my friend!
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks ladies, it is still in use and can be changed so easily that I'm using mugs that haven't seen the light of day for years!

    See you all on Sunday for another past favorite!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails