Thursday, April 1, 2010

Ernst Geissendörfer and Prof. Paul Geissler Etchings

Today I'm joining in on Vintage Black Friday once again!

Ernst Geissendörfer and Prof. Paul Geissler Etchings

Ernst Geissendörfer (1908-1993) studied art in Nuremberg and spent years mastering the art of etching (etching dates back to the 15th century when Albrecht Dürer made the first copper plate impressions).  He created many etchings of Rothenburg in the early 1900's that capture the true atmosphere . His original etchings are famous the world over for their high artistic skill. As a young man he traveled throughout Europe and the USA. He took over the family art gallery business that his parents founded in 1908. After 1945 he continued to create his masterful etchings while successfully rebuilding the family art gallery business with his wife.


Everytime my family was in Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber, we made sure to spend several hours in the Geissendörfer Art Shop.  Herr Geissendörfer always waited on my parents and over the years they acquired many of his etchings, as well as some done by Prof. Paul Geissler.

The building housing the art shop dates to 1420. It is located on the corner of the central Market Square at the start of the main shopping street, Schmeidgasse. It has been the home of many generations of Geissendörfers and since 1908 the home of the art shop. Sometime in the future I'll be sharing some of my Ernst Geissendörfer etchings.

Today I'm sharing my favorite Paul Geissler etching dated 1951.
There is just something so appealing about this dear gentleman and his pot of flowers.
It speaks of the arrival of Spring and rebirth.




Hope to see you next month for another Vintage Black Friday!

10 comments:

  1. A lovely etching ... I love the contrast between a man in his 'winter years' holding a pot of 'Spring time' flowers ... I almost see a longing for his youth written on his face.

    I have been fortunate enough to visit Rothenburg myself, but I was young and do not remember much ... except my parents tasting a lot of wine ; )

    Thank you for sharing and joining in VBF ... see you next month!

    xo
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. This etching truly captures the season! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful...you can just see the wonder...
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glorious ... if only we could know what he was thinking ;))

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful a piece and educational the lesson. I love to learn. Thank you for sharing a very unique piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many years ago a friend did an etching for my parents. It's such a unique art! Thanks for sharing your piece.

    Blessings... Polly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by to see my etching!

    See you all next month for another Vintage Black party.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have that same etching, and another by the same artist. I found them at a garage sale for $1.00 each. Check them out at my blog - http://www.reecekepler.com/2010/06/three-old-men.html

    ReplyDelete

  9. I have a framed signed hand colored etching by Paul Geissler similar to the uncolored one above. I have kept it because the man looks like my uncle but now I must sell it. Can you advise where would be the best market to sell this?
    Thanks
    k8renmayo at gmail
    Maryland, USA

    ReplyDelete

  10. I have a framed signed hand colored etching by Paul Geissler similar to the uncolored one above. I have kept it because the man looks like my uncle but now I must sell it. Can you advise where would be the best market to sell this?
    Thanks
    k8renmayo at gmail
    Maryland, USA

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails