Sunday, February 7, 2010

Burlap With A French Twist - Met Monday

I'm joining Susan and all her guests for another edition of Metamorphosis Monday
over on Between Naps On The Porch, come on over and check out all the wonderful projects.

I've been admiring all the vintage grain and feed sacks being used for home
decor and on upholstered furniture pieces for a long time now, but most of these pieces are
pretty pricey and I'm not sure how long "the look" would keep me entranced. There are some
wonderful pieces over at Three Fine Grains to look at.

So a quick project with a $3 piece of burlap became a test of how I might recreate
something similar.  I used a combination of stencils and rubber stamps with some craft paint
to turn the burlap into this tablecloth with a little French twist.  I've washed it a couple of
times to soften it up and I think this idea could be adapted to just about any fabric or
tablecloth that you have around for birthdays, holidays, theme parties.

I have some old picture frames and some art canvas on stretchers which I
will be turning into "feed sack" art now that I've tested the waters. I'll be
back with those in the future, assuming they turn out as I see them in
my mind's eye and I can find my staple gun.

I love mixing the "plain and fancy" together to get this rustic look ...... add a
nice bottle of Champagne to start and I'm on my way to France!




That's a T L R T circling the center ..... The Little Round Rable now has a monogram!








This silver butter dish was a wedding gift.





This is a Martha pitcher that I've had for years.



Vera Wang "Infinity" crystal.


This little silver plated bell graced my family's dinner table all the years I was
growing up and most of the plating has worn off over the years.

17 comments:

  1. What a great idea to stamp the table cover! I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this...I've been wanting to do a spring tablescape with burlap...thanks for the inspiration! Very pretty!

    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty table ! I love that cloth - great job !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dh thinks I'm ridiculous because as I looked at your pics, I kept saying "ooh, ooooooohhhh." Needless to say, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great job you did with both the tablecloth and the setting. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a fan of burlap, but that tablecloth is beautiful, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you made own tablecloth! I love it and your table setting. You're so good.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. All sorts of bells are going off in my head. Wow do I love the burlap and green! Thanks so much for posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. really a great idea and very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so love this! You did a beautiful job on it and for such a great price! Looks "better than ballard"! Your tablescape is so charming! I love the mix of silver with the white and gold! The butter dish is beautiful! Love the bell!

    Cheers!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. A tablecloth with its own monogram...now that's chic! Congrats on a project well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stunning. I love the tablecloth and the whole tablescape is just gorgeous. What a fabulous idea. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the responses to this burlap! I'm not usually a burlap lover either, but there is just something too cute about a change like this. Thinking outside the box is a good thing in the drab weeks of winter I think!

    Katie - my DH is a twin of yours I believe. :-) He just doesn't get the dish/tablescape fetish.

    Can't wait to get started on a piece for the wall, need to pull the frames out of storage to see what I can do .....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea and plan to "steal" it! I have some stencils too and have been stamping burlap but didn't think of a tablecloth. You're a genius. How about placemats? They would also look great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been on your site now for 2 hours...and this is my fav! I love the fleur-de-lis! You have some great tablescapes. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for coming by vignette and christy! So glad you enjoyed my little bit of craftiness! I do love my vintage American tablecloths, but there just isn't anything that can impart that old world feel like this one does for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails