Monday, February 21, 2011

Cucina Italiana

 Red sauce simmering on the stove.
A plate of hearty meat sauce and spaghetti.
A light garden salad.
And some crusty peasant bread, being served in my cucina Italiana.
The cutting board from St. Croix is handmade from the wood of the Bursera simaruba aka "turpentine tree." 
Vintage tablecloth topped with a variety of Post86 Fiesta dinnerware in
Lilac, Shamrock, Pearl Gray and White mixed with some vintage
Fiesta in Red and Yellow.  More details at the end of this post.
My intalgio glass divided relish tray was made by Indiana Glass in the
1930s as part of a go-along lazy susan that coordinated with vintage Fiesta dinnerware produced by Homer Laughlin. The large wooden 20" lazy
susan was called "Fiestawood" and was produced by the G. H. Specialty Co.
in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
There was also a metal base that fit in the ridges on the base of
the wooden tray that made it turn. These images are 12+ years
old and were originally posted on my now defunct website.
Intaglio is a form of design/decoration where the picture is cut away below the surface of the glass. This effect may be achieved by cutting out the glass to form the shape of the design, or more commonly, by pressing using a mold. It is the opposite of cameo glass, where the design is raised above the surface by cutting away the background.
When this form of design is used with opalescent glass, it has the effect of showing a clear glass image in a milky opalescent background, because the thicker parts of opalescent glass show the opalescence more.
Sometimes called "hollow relief" intaglio cutting was done with engraving wheels as long ago as Roman times, and was widely used in Europe in the 18th and 19th centuries.
A popular form of design in the early to mid 20th century was to impress an intaglio picture of fruit into the base of glass bowls and plates. This was a fairly common practice in England by Bagley, in the US by Imperial, and in Australia by Crown Crystal.
Napkins and stemware - Pier 1
Flatware - Cambridge, some from Home Goods and some from England
Votive pots from Mexico, candles from Michael's
Rooster - Home Goods

Thanks so much for coming by to visit again this week!
I'm joining:

27 comments:

  1. I always know I'm going to get some eye candy when I come here! I love those bowls and your salad sure looks good! Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always stare and drool over your kitchen and your gorgeous tablescapes. I would love to be in there and just take it all in in person. Your tablescape is gorgeous as usual. I have the same jar that you have on the island with the beans. Such a great idea. I have to borrow that idea and fill mine. So pretty. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your kitchen, especially the rooster (or is it a chicken?). Beautiful table setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic post ... and the sauce makes me hungry and we just had dinner! I can spend hours browsing through your site ... love the easy access to past posts. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the votive pots. Wish they were sold here in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, delightful and enchanting!!!! hugs, cleo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, as always!! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a warm and inviting table, Candy. I love how the Fiesta on the glass tray sparkles in the candle light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am truly pathetically in love with your kitchen & all the accessories. You make me strive to be more creative in setting a table, even for just the two of us. Thanks for sharing.
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen a kitchen like yours except in a magazine! It must make you smile to just walk into the room! GORGEOUS! WOW! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply stunning and the food looks fantastic. Thanks for joining WUW.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for all your lovely comments on my little Italian kitchen today!

    Marty - get your beans at Costco .... huge bag for little $$. :-)

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, you so make me want to take up my old ways of collecting dishes again!!! *sigh* Beautiful thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohmy, It's been a while since I have stopped in for a visit. I'm sorry and I have no excuse, I guess I just have been out of touch! But, now I have to beg..I mean ask nicely if you share your recipes? That red gravy has my taste buds going crazy! It looks scrumptous! Please, please share..I'm not good at making gravy and this looks like I want to learn!
    Thanks in advance,
    ~Shirley
    and if it's a secret recipe I will understand but will pout any way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a perfect meal with beautiful table scapes. :) Thank you for sharing.

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just found your blog through Laurie's Favorite Things party. OMG, your kitchen is to die for! I love it!

    I'm your newest follower. I hope you'll come by my new blog and visit too!

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful and INSPIRING post! Love it all....thanks for the fun!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, my! I always enjoy coming to visit. I just adore your kitchen and all your pretties. The tablecloth you used this time is so neat. I first thought you had an overcloth but kept looking and I do believe it is one cloth. So clever. Always love your fiesta. I have a few sets of HL but not much fiesta. I so enjoy looking at your.s Thanks for sharing your beautiful collection. Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  19. Candy, as always, I just love seeing anything in your kitchen. All of these images are making me drool. Even your cutting board is beautiful!! I love those little pots with the candles in them, and I love your jars with assorted beans in them. You have managed to create an environment that is so inviting and so welcoming, but also looks like a "cook's kitchen". I think that's hard to do. I'm off to buy some pretty beans now! Thank you for linking to Favorite Things. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhhh yummy! I haven't had breakfast yet and now I want spagetti! I can even have it (whole wheat) on the Flat Belly MUFA foods diet I am on, though I may have to pass on that scrumptious bread for a few more weeks. Now I know what I'll make for dinner tonight. Thank you for a very tasty visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your kitchen, the colors, and the food looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for coming by and for all your generous comments!

    Ginger, the cloth is all one piece .... with the fool the eye overlay. :-)

    Shirley -

    My "recipe" is pretty simple .... whatever is on hand is what I use. A couple of cups of chopped onions, celery, bell peppers, sauteed in a pan. Add a couple of HOT peppers finely dices, a few cloves of garlic. Tomato sauce from the freezer or jar, fresh from the garden in summer. Chopped tomatoes, several varieties give it some extra interest. And a pound or so of fried ground beef. It never turns out exactly the same, but is always very tasty. Part of the secret is to simmer gently for several hours. :-)

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your kitchen! Wow you are a tablescape artist. I am a new follower.. your home is so inviting and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  24. come to your blog is always a delight as i love seeing the way you set your table, it makes the meal more cozy and more enjoyable seeing the way its presented, beautiful setup

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for stopping by and I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails