Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Vintage Red

I'm joining all the vintage lovers over at Coloradolady
for another episode of Vintage Thingies Thursday.
Bring out some of your favorite vintage things and join the party!


I'm also linking up to Cindy's Show and Tell Friday over at
My Romantic Home

Over the last couple of weeks I've been sharing some of my vintage Fiesta dinnerware
produced by the Homer Laughlin China Company beginning in 1936.

You can read the prior posts:

An original brochure from 1936

Vintage Wholesale Catalog


This week's color is vintage Red, often referred to as "orange" by non-collectors.
Red was most always priced higher than other colors in the line.

Production of Fiesta glazed in Red was curtailed sometime in 1943 because of a
wartime restriction on the sale of uranium oxide needed to produce the Red glaze.

Fiesta Red returned in 1959 and again from 1967-1972 with a new name
"Mango Red", when it was used to glaze items in the Ironstone Fiesta offerings.


Shown above are examples of Fiesta glazed in Red from my collection.
Most are pretty common and easy to come by in good condition.

The Covered Sugar Bowl in the center of the image and the "C-handle" Creamer to the left are from the Ironstone Fiesta line produced from approximately 1967-1972, when the color was called "Mango Red." It is the same red as the other items from 1936 forward and the name change was probably a marketing move.

There is one exceptional piece shown above and is one of the rarest items to be found in any
Fiesta color.  There is thought to be one in Cobalt Blue at the Homer Laughlin China Company.
And then there is the one shown above in Fiesta Red. The one piece divided plate is shown
front and center above.


This is the 10 1/2" divided plate that never went into production.
Four different models of this one piece relish were done in 1937.


The back of the divided plate shows no markings.


It is one of maybe three or four items in my collection that I truly treasure!


Above and below: Ironstone Fiesta "Mango Red" Creamer and Covered Sugar Bowl.



Covered Casserole


Deep Plate (often called a "soup" plate or "rimmed" soup)


Dessert Bowl


4 3/4" (left) and 5 1/2" Fruit Bowls

Some of the other items shown in the first image have been covered in prior color
posts and include the Carafe, Relish Tray, and Sauce(gravy) Boat.  Next time I'll
take apart the layers of plates and detail their sizes.

Thanks for joining all the participants in another week of Vintage Thingies!
I hope to see you again soon.

You can visit the new Database of Vintage Fiesta to read more about this
wonderful and very colorful dinnerware.


27 comments:

  1. Bright and cheerful as usual. What could be next? I'll have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How foolish I have been. My mother had a big set of these dishes but they were all various colors. I had them a long time, then got a wild hair and sold them. I look back, and sorry for a lot of mistakes I made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This color truly lives up to the name of fiestaware, it looks like a party. Great that you know so much about it, what a lovely collection. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I found a Fiesta pitcher at a yard sale and was ecstatic. My daughter said, "What's Fiesta?" Doohh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your collection is amazing, especially the rare divided plate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh just gorgeous! I really love the shape of the tea (tea?) pot, so curvy and funky! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful collection! I love all the Fiesta colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your knowledge of Fiestaware. I have never seen a covered casserole before so I will have to be on the lookout for one now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love the shapes of these pieces, the clean lines and curves, not to mention that great red. It just makes you want to use them, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candy,

    It's wonderful to see these profiles of your Fiesta! That's how it all got started, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely dishes....I simply love the cheery orange...and for the record...LV (earlier commenter) is my aunt...and I wish she had kept them too!! LOL.....have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Candy,
    How wonderful to have such a rare piece in your collection! Is there a good story behind finding your divided plate? - and did you know when you bought it how rare it was? I hope I'm not being too snoopy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delightful! Its wonderful that you have one of the divided relish dishes: your collection is so fantastic and so diverse, you really deserve to have a rare piece! Thank you so much for sharing all of your Fiestaware.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Breathtaking! You have a beautiful collection :)

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful....I just love that warm color. My grandma had some pieces of Fiesta and I am at a loss as to why she never had this one since her favorite colors were red & orange :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. How marvelous to have that red divided plate that is one-of-a-kind! I always learn so much from your posts. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful collection you have and how great to have the brochures too, so much fun!

    Happy VTT,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have the most amazing collection! Thanks for sharing all this interesting information and these photos. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sarsaparilla - Oh yes I knew it was rare ... and so did all of the other bidders when this came up on eBay about 10 years ago. :-)

    Coloradolady - I think you need to take LV out behind the woodshed for a good thrashing or out to the prairie and leave her there! LOL

    Daphne - you and I remember when I started my first venture on the internet all those years ago! It really is very strange when I look back at the images from 1998 and wonder how we put up with the minimal quality of them! How times have changed, but the Fiesta is still as beautiful as ever.

    Thank you all so much for coming by .....

    Gayle, I'll give you a hint about "what's next".
    It will be either Yellow or Green or Cobalt!

    You can get your Fiesta Fix by checking out the new Vintage Fiesta Database at the following link:

    http://vintagefiestafromthelittleroundtable.blogspot.com/2010/07/shapes-and-colors-index-page.html

    See you all next week!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Fiesta too :-) I am having a CSN Giveway on my blog My Dream Canvas and would love for you to drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lots of Fiesta lovers around so you will feel right at home!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love, love, love the colors!!!

    For your convenience, Here Is My Show and Tell Bargain Link. Hope to see you visit with me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG!!
    What a beautiful collection!! They are gorgeous! I only have 2 tea cups and saucers in yellow in fiesta ware!!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for coming by ladies!

    Tune in next week for another shot of Fiesta color to brighten your day!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails