Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Garden Debris As Table Decor Part 2 for Outdoor Wedensday

It's Outdoor Wednesday over at A Southern Daydreamer please join all the participants for this weekly outdoor event!

Garden Debris is a great source for year round on the cheap table decor. Last week I showed you an urn filled with a bunch of garden debris that included the drying fruits from the
Canary Date Palm - Phoenix canariensis.

This week's garden debris offering also includes parts from a Canary Date Palm and Butia capitata - Jelly Palm in addition to clippings from Italian Cypress - Cupressus sempervirens, seed pods from an hybrid Gasteria, and some lemons, pomegrantes, Mandarin oranges and a grapefruit from the garden.


Cornucopia - The cornucopia (Latin: Cornu Copiae) is a symbol of food and abundance dating back to the 5th century BC, also referred to as horn of plenty, Horn of Amalthea, and harvest cone.


My table decor isn't exactly the shape of a traditional horn of plenty, but remember that it is free debris!  The base is a dried covering of the fruit from a Jelly Palm. These last forever, the ones above are probably 8 years old.  They can be run through a short cycle on the dishwasher, varnished or sealed.  I have also used these as great chip/dip holders on a buffet table or to hold buns/ rolls.  Once they are dried they can be cut with a table saw into any shape/size you desire and make great hostess gifts decorated as shown here or holding any sort of cute gifts from the garden. Think of them as "wood" because that's how strong and sturdy they are.




The dried bare piece to the right is the Canary Date Palm stem from two years ago where the little yellow/orange fruits have completely fallen away.  The greenery is the Cypress clippings, the little yellow berried stems are this year's crop of fruits just beginning to form on the Canary Date Palm, the larger green pods on the stem are from the Gasteria.


My little helper, who went back outside after checking out the dishes gathering together in preparation for the upcoming holiday.


Thanks for coming by to visit!

17 comments:

  1. Great use of all your things! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your view is just the best ever, wow, I would love to see that every day. Love your centerpiece it is so beautiful with all your wonderful colors...love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty.

    The colors and variety are lovely.

    TTFN~~ Claudia ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so creative with the decors! The "boots" vase is very unique!
    I love the leaf saucers you have. I have a similar one in green that I got from Macy's clearance!
    Ebie's Outdoor Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am jumping up and down at your arrangement! Its just too incredibly beautiful for words! I have a friend with a palm tree that drives his batty with all that kids of debris! He will think me crazy to beg for it but I'm going to! I wanna give this a try... or something similar at least. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures! THe arrangements are so unique! Very impressive! Have a wonderful Outdoor Wednesday!! sherri

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your style!! And your vivid imagination turns into works of ART!

    My O W is a nearby marshland with waterfowl and Autumn colors...and a surprise L N Monster visit!!!

    Come by and see

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have wonderful creative ideas. I love the finished arrangement, it is so pretty. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful collections from nature!

    I explored the Jogging trail this time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. O my...this is amazing. Really love it..

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a clever use of all your lovely things. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Have a great Outdoor Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous idea! I love your use of what you call garden debris. I can find that palm debris around here and look forward to creating something similar.

    Thank you for sharing your creativity with us!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your fall arrangement and what an interesting container too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is amazing. The colors and textures are gorgeous. This is such a creative use of your garden leavings. And the palm containers are wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think any garden can provide some sort of inspiration for table decor, whether it is fresh or going by the wayside. I'm pretty much done with the "fallish" table decor and Christmas garden debris is pretty hard to do when it's still sunny and 70F, but I'll give it a go in the next couple weeks. The red I still have in my garden is Pineapple Salvia, so that might be a jumping off point. See you all next week for Outdoor Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh your garden is magnificant! i would so love level land, love love love your style~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Ms Moon! It took an exceptional amount of grading to get my FLAT acre to garden on. My old joints just can't do the hills and slants anymore! LOL

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails