Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tropical Philodendron Breakfast w/ Palm Jelly for Foodie Friday

It's Foodie Friday with lots of good things to eat over at  Designs by Gollum , come join the fun!

Butia Palm Jelly for Foodie Friday

I'm down to my last jar of this palm jelly from my last batch made in 2006, when we moved and I had to leave my wonderful Butia capitata behind.  Plans are to plant one next Spring here in the new garden.  3 quarts of fruit yield 4 cups of finished jelly and it tastes great, very mild apriocoty/tropical flavor.

It would make an awesome marinade/sweet sour sauce and unlike the written accounts I did not find it difficult to remove the pulp from the large seeds. If it is fully ripe it is not difficult to mash and remove the seeds.

Preparation of Juice:
3 quarts fully ripe fruit
6 cups water

Sort fruit, wash and remove sepals if still attached. Barely cover with water (about 6 cups), bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. You can try to crush the fruit with a potato masher after it starts to cook; however, the seeds are so large that the masher only partially crushes.

Drain juice through colander, then strain two or three times through several thicknesses of damp cheescloth or some other thin clean cloth. Let set in refrigerator overnight because it will still contain lots of solids. Pour off juice leaving residue in bottom of container, and strain again. The juice may never be perfectly clear. The natural color is a yellowish amber. The jelly is much prettier if tinted with red food coloring.
 Making the Jelly:
5½ cups strained juice
1 box powdered pectin
Few drops red food color
7½ cups sugar

Measure juice into a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Mix pectin with juice until dissolved, add food coloring, and bring quickly to a hard boil, stirring occasionally. Add sugar all at once. Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to full rolling boil (a boil that cannot be stirred down); boil hard for 1 minute and 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim off foam with metal spoon. Pour into sterilized jelly jars, leaving 1/8-inch headspace. Wipe sealing edge clean and seal with new lids. Invert jars until all are sealed; stand upright to cool. Yield: about 8 half-pints.






And breakfast is the perfect time for this yummy jelly!

Leacock Quality Hand Prints "Mandalay" vintage tablecloth has appeared before here on this space.  Here's a breakfast setting with Juniper Fiestaware 2000, Deauville flatware, vintage glassware, vintage Fiesta Light Green Marmalade in a Royal Chrome rack, a vintage Light Green Syrup pitcher, vintage Oven Serve Bean Pot and a couple pieces of Pomona.



9 comments:

  1. So interesting about the palm jelly. I live where there are palm trees all around me.. here in Texas and in Mexico. Guess I have wasted an opportunity. Might have to give this a try.
    I do so love your tablescapes!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had palm jelly. I don't think I can buy them in the store where I live. I would really like to try some or purchase some from the store. It sound interesting. THANKS!!! for sharing. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love the palms and the beautiful pictures, I love the recipe and I adore the dishes the beautiful green glasses soooo pretty, thanks for sharing, I enjoyed visiting you...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved this post. I've never heard or seen palm jelly until I read your post. I'll have to try to find some via the internet as we don't have a lot of palm trees in Oregon :-). I loved your tablescape as well. I love color and your setting was vibrant. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an informative post. The jelly is a pretty color. Thanks for sharing. Your tablescapes are lovely.

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone ..... now I think I need to make some toast and ..... well I think Palm jam might taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The palm jelly looks like a jewel. I LOVE your tablescape. I have the sherbets that match your green Depression glassware. Thanks for joining Foodie Friday!
    Hugs galore,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks G, love those glasses, they work with everything! See you again on Friday if I can find anything food related. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails