Thursday, October 15, 2009

Grandma's Tablecloth for Show and Tell Friday

It's Show and Tell Friday over at My Romantic Home come on over to Cindy's blog and join in!

Since I was the second grandchild, I remember when Grandma had a small kitchen table.  Later with more children a larger table appeared.  It was a small room adjacent to the kitchen with a crank party line telephone and very bold white wallpaper covered with BIG ivy trailing from floor to ceiling. Because the cloth is so small I have a larger cloth underneath it.




This tablecloth used to grace that small square table and I remember sitting with my Granddad when he came home at about 3pm, watching him drink a glass of milk and slowly eating saltine crackers.  He was a rural mail carrier whose route covered 200 miles each day.  He drove his Ford pickup truck with no air each and every mail day for 40 years in the cold of winter and the heat of a Kansas summer. He told me he ate the saltines to replenish the salt he would lose in all that heat.  He was a quiet distant guy with not much to say in a house full of women, but I admired him very much for his dedication to his job and the air of calm that seemed to surround him.

My Grandma hand embroidered this cloth. Here it is set with vintage Fiesta and cute go-along pitcher and glasses, and vintage Quikut flatware.  The covered French Casserole is vintage Cobalt and is extremely rare in this color especially with the lid.  The bud vase is Post 86 Sapphire.






This is a mint-in-box set of the Quikut flatware with a vintage Cobalt bud vase.

28 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful to have this vintage tablecloth and dishes from your Grandmother?
    Thankfully you valued them enough to keep them and it's nice to see that you use them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love these cloths. My mother had made one in the 50's and somehow my cousin ended up with it. What a perfect backdrop for your Fiesta. Really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    I just love primay colors--your tablescape takes me back to my childhood of Fiesta ware and pretty tablecloths,quihut flatware and visiting grandparents.

    I so enjoyed your post. Thanks for sharing your beautiful memories and dishes.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the festive eclectic colors of the tableware...brings so much joy to one that is sitting, dining, with you.

    And the embroidery work is just simply awesome.

    Mine's posted ---

    Click Here * a Slideshow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your post. Brings back memories.
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the tablecloth.. Much time was put into that i am sure. I have alwayse love looking at fiesta ware, all the colors make you feel like your in a candy store..

    ReplyDelete
  7. What marvelous colors!!!! Sweet memories too:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You fiesta is beautiful! I love all of the colors and the tablecloth is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun vintage table setting. It's not called Fiesta Ware for nothing...very festive! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty. Thanks for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahhhh so colourful! i love the vibrant colours.. so happy colours! your setting so pretty! thanks for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is just beautiful what a wonderful keepsake~Blessings Heather ;D

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is all so beautiful! I love the table cloth wow it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad that you have your memories of your Grandparents and the beautiful table cloth. It looks perfect.

    Enjoy!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone, the memories are the best, the dishes and tablecloths just keep them fresh and sweet, I'm glad you enjoyed the look back with me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The table is great. I love fiesta, I use them as everyday dishes. I only have new, but love the older pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your table setting is beautiful! I love the tablecloth made by your grandmother. Everything is so colorful. Thank you for sharing the lovely memories of your grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! What beautiful memories! And the tablecloth is just as beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I spy a Fiesta Cobalt Promotional Casserole!!!! Nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your Grams hand sewn tablecloth and your GFs mail story and his crackers. The drinking glasses in the post are new to me and so pretty. Now the vintage flatware is amazing.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is so adorable! It looks perfect with the Fiestaware! It's wonderful that it has been passed down to you. Thank you for sharing it for Show and Tell!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing the memories with me! The dishes, the tablecloth, the memories make a perfect picture of times past.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are beautiful colours :) It's very special that you have your grandmother's tablecloth:) I love embroidery, especially when it has a picture scene like that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks sez, so glad you stopped by for a peek into the past.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a pretty tablecloth and colorful china. Love that cobalt vase too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Joy, that little bud vase is perfect for just a few blooms and really does brighten the day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails