Sunday, May 16, 2010

Three Heads Are Better Than One


I'm linking up to Metamorphosis Monday hosted by Susan over at
Between Naps On The Porch this week. come on over and check
out all the make overs and clever ideas.

I've had these planters for years and they've had several different
"doos" over the years.  In their most recent incarnation they lived
outside with succulents for hair.  After a super cold and wet winter,
they were really in need of a new style.


At one time this gal's hair was really pretty, but after winter
she was balding and had brown roots. :-)


And here she is with her new style, just need it to grow in a bit!


And this gal had black mush for hair at the end of the winter, but
she is now joining her friend with the trailing ivy look.


And their little cherub buddy, was the saddest of all, water
logged and moldy.


Seen here in better times several years ago and below with
his new look.


A can of "Fossil" spray paint and some glaze gave all three a new finish.
EDIT : 5/17/2010  Here are the two products I used for this project:






Thanks for stopping by, hope to see you again soon.

15 comments:

  1. Those are so cool - beautiful and graceful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe these planters aren't for everyone, but I think they are full of character and expression. I love them...and will be on the look out for one for my porch...fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! I've seen some in a magazine before, but never in a store. Here from Met Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic group of "heads" in which to grown your beautiful greens. I've seen one recently that almost came home with me, but have never seen any as lovely as the ones you have. Each one has such detail and character. Did you sculpt these? Thanks for sharing these ladies! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ♥♥♥ them! My favorite is the one with the roses woven through her hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so much fun. Very Dali. Jane F.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Candy! I love your little trio of heads! :) How elegant they look with their new look.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to all of you for your generous compliments! Gee Sarah, I wish I had sculpted them, but they were all purchased and are made of some sort of resin compound. I really don't recall where I got them, but I'm thinking at least one came from Charleston Garden or Wisteria. I know I got the little cherub at a now defunct home store.....had an awesome garden manager. Anyone else remember Yard Birds?

    Stop back again for another planter I'm refinishing after years of sitting in the California sunshine.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are amazing! I have seen the antique ceramic painted ones but never the cement looking ladies. Love them.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. The three graces. Oh wow! I adore it. What a wonderful metamorphosis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! Tell me more about the "Fossil" spray paint, please?

    Scribbler
    http://scribbler-unfocused.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks ladies!

    Scribbler, I've added an image of the two paint products I used to refresh these pieces. "Fossil" is the color name of the spray paint and doesn't refer to the finish texture, which was caste into the pieces when the resin compound was poured into the molds by the makers. I love this simple glaze product from Lowe's, serves for just about anything you want to take away the "newness" from. Water cleanup and very forgiving with a long working time. This is the same glaze I used for the table/bench makeover called Earrings On A Pig posted recently.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the different looks, most remind me of Methuselah. So perfect!~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks ladies, I'm happy you liked my pots!

    Candy

    Garden images for this week can be seen at this link:
    This Week In My Garden: Roses and The Silly Kildeer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails