Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Warm Wonderful Copper - Vintage Thingies Thursday

It's Thursday again, which means it is time to pull out your wonderful
Vintage Thingies for another party over at Coloradolady

These are some of my favorite pieces from my collection of vintage copper. I know
it is rushing the season a bit, but I'm seeing eggs popping up all over my house!


This vintage mold has an Edelweiss on it and makes for a beautiful presentation on a
Spring table or buffet spread. An aspic vegetable salad or traditional jello salad becomes
something special when you use a decorative mold like this one.


Edelweiss flowers are a perennial alpine plant native to the Alps of Germany,
Switzerland, Austria, Italy, and France. Edelweiss flowers are quite rare in the
wild and in many areas are considered endangered. These famous flowers grow in rocky
crags in the Alps and are best cultivated in a rock garden that mimics their natural habitat.
 
Grown in partial shade, these plants will develop beautiful woolly flowers with a ring of silvery white leaves surrounding them, which makes then look like large snowflakes. Edelweiss flowers are reasonably easy to propagate from seed and quite hardy if grown in conditions that suit them.

This little copper basket is Greek, I love the "art deco" design on it.



I have lots of these little molds, they look great done in aspic or jello for a buffet table.


This very old mold appeared here on TLRT a few days ago on a Mardi Gras tablescape.



27 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Does it stay this shiny or do you have to clean it very often?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlotte!

    I lost most of this post, never had that happen before! So go back and check to make sure you got to see all the detail images. I'm adding the text back in too. Hmmmmmm

    I polish it when the feeling hits me, not as often as I should probably. It is something I enjoy doing, so I don't know why it takes me so much thinking to get started.

    Check back in a few, I'll go add the text that was lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like copper but I don't think I could tell the vintage stuff from the new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of the best copper collection I have seen. Each piece is a work of art. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The craftsmanship of the copper pieces you have shown today is wonderful. A very nice collection. After seeing 'Julie and Julia', I get a kick out of 'Aspic' anything. If you haven't seen the movie...there is a part about an 'Aspic Disaster'...I had to go look up what an Aspic was...I'm no gourmet and come to find out it had to do with calves feet...I really did crack up then....being a Texan and not knowing that!!! LOL....Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure love your display! And - eggs are popping up all over at our house too - the chickens have started producing BIG TIME! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How DO you clean copper? I knew people collected it, glad to have been proved right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff, those are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a great collection!

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous copper pieces!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really pretty pieces! I especially like the tray. I like your stone eggs too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pieces, and thanks for the closeups of the detail. The Greek basket is especially gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely copper pieces. A great collection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What lovely pieces. Thank you for showing these! I have to ask, have you ever made an aspic? My husband keeps going on and on about them since we saw Julie and Julia AND he gave me Julia Child's iconic cookbook. Hope you'll share!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mom had a wall full in the kitchen. And she was a big aspic fan.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gorgeous copper! I love old jello moulds- especially fond of your lobster one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The are exqusite pieces. The presention is lovely. Thanks for the post.
    Ann
    Tin and sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your antique copper molds are beautiful. And your Greek basket is lovely, I also have some of those pretty alabaster eggs!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The copper molds, as well as the Easter eggs, are so beautiful! Enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a very beautiful collection of copper, I love the serving tray and basket....is it work to keep it up? Have a great VTT!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have a beautiful collection. I like the basket with the colorful eggs, so perfect for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for all your lovely comments on my copper! I'm glad you enjoyed it! As far as cleaning it, I use Simichrome polish (comes in a red can or tube either online or at some hardware/home centers/ antique stores). I swear by it, although there are other brands, this is the best one in my opinion. Soft cloths, apply to a small area at a time, buff and buff and buff some more with old soft terry towels.

    I'll show some additional pieces again for Vintage Thingies.....I love this party and hope to see you all again!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Candy, these are wonderful pieces of copper. My husband has collected copper for many years. I'll forward this link on to him. I know he will enjoy seeing these pieces. The little basket is an unusual shape. Thank you for sharing each of these. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Sarah! Come winter maybe I can get some of the other pieces polished and out for display!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails