Thursday, February 18, 2010

It's All About Eggs! A Cloche Party

This is my first time joining a Cloche Party over at A Stroll Through Life.
I'm new to the "cloche" idea, other than in the garden, so this is a whole new adventure
for me. Join all the other "clochers" along with our hostess Marty to see their fabulous creations.

I'm deviating from the "Winter" theme, because it is really SPRING here in Northern
California!  There are baby calves all over the grazing lands that surround our property,
the birds are singing their pretty heads off, and my garden is coming back to life after
a wet, cold and frosty winter monsoon season.

I had a hard time coming up with ideas of how to decorate my cloche(s) for the
party ....... it is harder than it looks or is it just me?  But, finally this morning
I was inspired to go with a sure sign of Spring ..... EGGS.  And thanks to a
timely delivery by the cute guy in the brown suit driving his big brown truck,
I was able to put it together by the skin of my teeth!

Birds aren't the smartest cookies on the block, but they do provide hours
of free entertainment.  If you've been reading my blog lately, you may have seen some of
the images I've been able to capture of the quail convention being held on our patio.


Over the years we've had quail lay eggs in the oddest places ...... right by the front door,
in pots on the patio, usually at the busiest most accessible locations to be found.  They are then prey to all the fretting of dealing with cats, dogs, kids, and the big scary UPS truck.
The nesting urge hits them and they plop right down and get to work creating a nest,
without any thought to the consequences.  I've learned to shoo them away and
tear down those nests in vulnerable locations, since the results are usually tragic.

We have had some successful birds nest in these odd places over the years, but not many.

Right by the front door, this was a successful endeavor, but only because I roped
off the front porch for a few weeks until Mama could get her brood hatched
and out of that prickly asparagus fern to safety.



The clutch of egg below was at the sidewalk level under the mailbox and
was most likely destroyed by racoons.


Mourning Doves aren't any smarter ...... but this ever vigilant pair did
manage to raise their two babies and get them safely down from a nest right
above the patio slider.



About now you must be asking yourself what this has to do with a Cloche Party ......
 yes you are, I see you hitting that scroll wheel trying to find the connection!

It is Spring and birds will do their thing, silly birds!

My faux nests and eggs will be safe from their larger feathered friends, racoons, the
UPS truck and the coyotes, since they will remain all nestled in their cloche havens.







Thanks for stopping by to check out my first attempt at the "cloche" encounter!

EDIT:
I received a lot of emails asking where I purchased the cloche in the center, so I've
posted the details here.

And one that didn't make the cut ...... early this morning ..... trying to become inspired
and it wasn't working.

Garden Gate

29 comments:

  1. Hi Candy...

    My friend, I'm sooo happy that you are able to join in with the Cloche Party this time! Ohhh...and what lovely cloches you have, my dear! I love that you were thinking "Spring"...so refreshing! We are still very much in the throes of winter here in Colorado! You are absolutely right...whenever I see a bird's nest full of those darling eggs...I think spring! I love your nest and all of your beautifully colored eggs! The tall cloche in the center is just gorgeous...I love how you added the pretty greenery and beautiful ribbons for embellishment! Thank you for sharing your pretties with us today for the Cloche Party...what a treat!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loved all the stories about the birds and their nests all over the place. Too cute. Now as for the cloches. I just LOVE them all. Your littl egg topiary is about the cutest thing I have ever seen, and your big cloche with the nest is just stunning. I love the way you have the bows and streamers going all the way down the sides. Your etched one is definitely one that I drool over. It is just gorgeous. Thanks so much for joining the party, you did a fabulous job of decorating your cloches. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Candy, what a wonderful post! The photos of those birds on your patio are just marvelous! Now look at your beautiful cloches and your decorated them so loverly!! :) I'm thinking springness too and the birds have flown under my cloches!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How perfectly springy!!! I'm so jealous that you are having spring already, I'm afraid that here in the northeast we have quite a bit of winter left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just lovely! You never cease to amaze me with your creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the birds nest with the green eggs under a cloche!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful! I loved them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look like a pro! These are so gorgeous, so springy too! I love the nests, the story and the pretty eggs too! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did good!!! And I loved the lead in. I kept my scroll wheel moving to see the connection. It was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! My cloches look very plain! Mayhaps I will re-do!
    Smiles, alice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I would be so thrilled if quail turned up in my yard! I loved all the birds (big bird lover, that's me!) and the eggs. And your cloches are just delightful!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, love your bird pic and your Easter cloches. Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect use for cloches! Looks like you are ready for spring and Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Candy, I love your story about the quails. We have shooed away litte wrens or sparrows trying to make nests where they can get killed, too. I love all your bird themed cloches.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such sweet little pictures under glass. They all look so sweet. I completely understand your theme - I was thinking the same thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful post and your cloches are wonderful! I especially like the cut glass one! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all of your cloches! I can't wait to bring my Easter items out! The eggs are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cloches are so lovely. I really like how you add the ribbon on top. Very Pretty.

    Carey from Chicory Nits

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I loved this!!!!! I love seeing all the birds and the eggs and how blessed are you to see baby calves around your property!!!! I would love that! Thanks for such a great post..hope you have a fantastic weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your nests are so pretty underneath the cloche! I love how you've included both ribbon and sprigs of grennery on the top of yours. It looks great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Candy, good morning! Love your display and love all the nests. We have a great deal of birds where we are too. And yes they are entertaining. What great pictures you have of all the birds! It's funny, my daughter did a report on birds and they actually prefer bigger bird food because they can't see small bird food. That was what her whole paper logically came up with! Hahaha
    Anyhoo....
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am such a fan of nests. Yours look wonderful underneath your pretty cloches.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so relieved! This whole cloche thing had me totally stymied and I thank you for all your wonderful comments!

    Marty - that little egg topiary came from Michael's and it will be popping up again for Easter I'm sure!

    Debbie - these birds love the "bigger" gourmet birdseed too, but they mostly get the bulk bag stuff that I buy at the feed store ... they are eating me out of house and home!

    I love this party, but am glad it isn't a weekly thing ..... I'd be hard pressed to come up with a new idea each week!! Again thanks for all your generous compliments!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, how lovely. I actually have a pet mourning dove. (Long story) They are appallingly poor nest builders, aren't they.

    I just gave that beautiful etched cloche to my mother for Christmas. It's just beautiful. Great job, you did.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So glad your eggs and nests that you bought from us came just in time for the party! All your cloche {s? not sure what the plural is} look beautiful. Lidy

    ReplyDelete
  26. So pretty! I love all the ribbons.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Candy, you jumped in and stole the show! I love all of your cloche ideas. What a decorator you are!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks everyone, can't wait for the next cloche gathering! A challenge, but fun and such a variety of ideas to gather from all the contributors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails