Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Happy Anniversary Meissen Porcelain

It's Thursday again, which means it is time to pull out your wonderful
Vintage Thingies for another party over at Coloradolady

Meissen porcelain was the first European hard-paste porcelain and was
developed in 1708 by Ehrenfried Walther von Tschirnhaus. After his death
that October, Johann Friedrich Böttger, continued his work and brought
porcelain to the market.


The production of porcelain at Meissen, near Dresden, started in
1710 and attracted artists and artisans to establish one of the most famous
porcelain manufacturers, still in business today as Staatliche
Porzellan-Manufaktur Meissen GmbH. Its signature logo, the crossed
swords, was introduced in 1720 to protect its production; the mark of
the crossed swords is one of the oldest trademarks in
existence. The anniversary celebration marking 300 years
of production began on January 23, 2010.

Variations of the mark allow for determining an approximate date
of production. The piece from my collection that I am sharing today,
bears a mark that was first used in 1924.


You can learn more about Meissen porcelain by visiting the company website Meissen


This covered vegetable bowl or tureen has been in my family since the late 40s
and always sat in a place on honor on my mother's china hutch.  I'm not brave
enough to leave it out like that with a cat in the house, but it does have a spot
in the new "good dishes" cabinet I recently purchased, where I can see
it every time I pass by.








27 comments:

  1. What a beautiful covered dish. The colors are so nice and sharp. I love the little figured knob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful piece. Yes, I remember looking up that mark a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, this is a beauty...I love the design and the colors of this colored dish, enjoyed the markings too, always love to look at those! Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was beautiful even before I saw the cover. What a nice piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's beautiful. Thinks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely! So nice that you now treasure this piece too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW that is beautiful and since it is a family piece that only makes it better. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you actually used it for soup? I would have to be sure no one else did the serving but me. The piece is spectacular.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, and great info for us.

    blessings

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's really beautiful. It's great to be able to research all these wonderful vintage finds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Meissen is the royalty of porcelain. Your piece is a beauty, and I love your table cloth as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats amazing. I haven't seen any with a figure on it like that I wouldnt want to leave it out either! lol

    Happy VTT,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a beautiful dish! I'm with you on keeping it safe! Thanks for the Meissen info!

    Happy VTT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely covered Meissen dish-with a very recognizable Meissen figure on top! Thanks for sharing and the info on Meissen history and marks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! I have a covered dish like this (not as pretty, though). I always wondered what it was used for.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous piece, I would be terrified to have my husband near it.What an interesting post- love the marking information. Happy VTT.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a really beautiful piece. It deserves a place of honor!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous bowl. Wealth of information you provided. Such a treasure for sure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The colors and details are just beautiful. How lucky you are to have a piece that has been in your family for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do appreciate you stopping by to comment on my treasure, thanks!

    No I haven't used it for soup, but I have used it for side dishes like vegetables. It is described some places as a "shallow" tureen, but in my mind it would slosh all over and is more suitable as a container for something that won't spill.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is so pretty! I just love all the color and details- and I agree, I certainly wouldn't be brave enough to leave it out with kitties around! It's just too special to lose!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is absolutely beautiful!The colors are so clear and not at all faded.Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for the information. What a lovely dish! I will be on the look out for these now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for stopping by to see my vintage thingy!

    See you next week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails