Saturday, February 13, 2010

From South of the Border - Silver Sunday

I'm back again for Silver Sunday hosted by Gypsy Fish Journal !

Last week I showed you the tea set I inherited from my in-laws that was
from the Great Depression in the 1930's.  This week it is pewter again,
but this time from Mexico.  Mexican pewter is often mistaken for silver from
a distance because of its very high shine factor.  You can purchase
these pieces very inexpensively from shops and street vendors alike.
Mexican pewter is different than the pewter we are all familiar with.

While the term pewter covers a range of tin-based alloys, the term English pewter has
come to represent a strictly-controlled alloy, specified by BSEN611-1 and British
Standard 5140, consisting mainly of tin (ideally 92%), with the balance made
up of antimony and copper. Significantly, it is free of lead and nickel. Although
the exact percentages vary between manufacturers, a typical standard for
present-day pewter is approximately 91% tin, 7.5% antimony and 1.5% copper.
  
From the 15th century onwards, the composition of English pewter was
carefully protected by the Worshipful Company of Pewterers in London.
The Company required that the finest quality English pewter contain at
least 94% tin, with the balance made of other metals including lead. Lead
was removed from the composition in 1974, by BS5140, reinforced by
the European directive BSEN611 in 1994.

Until the end of the 18th century, the only method of manufacture was
by casting and the soldering of components. From the last quarter of the
18th century, improvement in alloys and techniques allowed objects to be
made from pewter by stamping and spinning.

Mexican pewter is non-toxic, tarnish-resistant and LEAD-FREE aluminum alloy.  
All the beauty without the expense or maintenance of silver.  These are some of
the pieces I have brought back from our trips to Mexico.


I think if you've followed me here on The Little Round Table at all, you probably know that
I love Fiesta dinnerware in all its various colors both vintage and that produced since its
reintroduction in 1986.  You can most likely understand the little skip my heart made when
I spied this look alike pitcher in a pewter workroom in Mexico. I snatched it up and
promptly paid for it!


The real thing and this cute look-alike!




There are an endless number of trays and bowls to choose from, its a difficult decision.  This
detail from the handles of one of my trays is picking up the reflection from the green Fiesta
pitcher and almost looks like it is embellished with emeralds!



Detail from one of my favorite little bowls.

18 comments:

  1. Wow, who knew.....that is such a cool look alike. I think it was made just for you, for you silver sunday post...tee hee. Thanks for paticipating....see you next month!
    {{gypsy hugs}}
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pieces! I adore the silver fiesta pitcher! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool pitcher -- I would have snatched it up too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fascinating.. thanks for the education.. it is incredible how shiny this pewter is.. if only I didn't live half way round the world I'd be off for a quick trip.. haha.. Great luck on finding that look-alike pitcher.. and I love your little bowl.. very Alessi!! Have a great Valentine's Day .. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love peweter here at Hyacinths! You have some great pieces, and I especially like the look-a-like Fiesta piece.
    Happy Valentine's Day to you! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this. expecially the pitcher. Thanks for sharing. Happy Valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. Fiesta is beautiful and the pewter version does it justice. I don't typically like pewter but the Mexican pewter is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning to all of you on Valentines' Day!

    Thanks for stopping by and for all your lovely remarks about my pretties. Here's hoping that all your silvery things reflect the love that surrounds you on this special day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that really was a find in that Fiesta lookalike pitcher! I really like that tray as well!

    Happy Valentines Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right..the silver and the fiesta ware look fabulous together! I also love fiesta ware, I don't have nearly the pieces you do though...beautiful blog, please come visit mine when you have chance! Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Diann and Marcia! I'm sneaking back in here to check your comments before we run out to a special brunch. Yummm! Happy Valentines' Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Candy, what a great post! I learned alot today about pewter . . . who knew there was such a difference depending on where it's made?!

    Your pieces are wonderful and I think it's serendipity that brought you that little pitcher . . . very cool!

    Thanks so much for sharing and Happy Silver Sunday!

    Happy Valentine's Day too!

    Blessings,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I actaully like that better than the regular pewter. Nice post, lots to learn. Thanks

    Chania

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa! You have some seriously nice silver. Great photos too. Happy Silver Valentines Day!!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  15. That tray is fantastic. I am not familiar with Mexican pewter...but I like it. Happy SS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm late in checking out all the Silver, but better late than never, right? Love the Fiesta Silver Pitcher & the Green one too... the bowl with the holes is so different ~
    Have a Wonderful Week

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Silver... I love the green Fiesta Ware.... Happy Silver Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks ladies, I'm so glad you enjoyed seeing some of my pewter from Mexico! See you next month for another Silver Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails