Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Outdoor Wednesday: This Week In My Garden

I'm joining all the Outdoor Wednesday lovers over at A Southern Daydreamer for
this week's party.  Please bring your outdoor images and join in.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a finch to pose???
These little guys live in a big flock in my garden and have always preferred
the fountain by the front driveway over the bigger fountain in the back garden.


And they rarely were brave enough to dig through the seed bowl looking for Niger seeds.
The Scrub Jays and Acorn Woodpeckers always scared them away.
So this week they received their very own seed sock filled to the brim with
those yummy Niger seeds! Lesser Goldfinch - Carduelis psaltria

These all look pretty similar, taken through the kitchen window.





Hopefully I'll get some better images as they become less skittish.

Other things in my HOT HOT HOT summer garden.  Temperatures
have been pushing 100F for a couple of weeks, although today it is cooler
and we have a nice breeze.


Echinacea purpurea 'Kim's Knee High' and Equicetum hymole - Rough Horse Tail
(above and below)




Canna x generalis 'Tropicana'


Echinacea paradoxa - Yellow Coneflower
(above and below)



Aloe nobilis - Gold Toothed Aloe
(above and below)



Tecoma stans - Yellow Elder
Making a slow slow recovery after freezing to the ground this past unusually cold and wet winter.

Another victim of freeze burn is this Blue Sotol, now rewarding me with its very first bloom stalk!



Dasylirion wheeleri - Desert Spoon, Blue Sotol

Thanks so much for visiting the garden again this week, it's always a joy
to have you stop by.

17 comments:

  1. "Beautiful"!!! Were the hummingbirds fluttering(or should I say ZIPPING) around your head while you took these pictures??? Which reminds me I have a type of a hummingbird "Where's Waldo" photo in my garden that I'm going to go post RIGHT NOW!!! If you get a chance swing by and "Find the little bugger"!!!
    Thank you, as always, for your magnificent photos...
    Donna@Conghaile Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Goldies! And especially their song! Lovely garden! Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I wish I could feed the birds here. The stupid squirrels (just tree rats) devour everything in a minute or two. They will chew right through the bird feeders to get the seeds to fall out easier. Aaarrrggghhh.
    That yellow sock feeder is really cool and they sure seem to like it. You have amazing plants in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you ladies, so glad you enjoyed your visit to the garden!

    No hummers around my head Donna .... they were taken from inside through the kitchen windows.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for showing those last, unusual to me, flowers. I hope you see lots of Finch now that you've put out the sock...That is a very interesting fountain.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Light and Voices, I do appreciate your most generous comment. :-)

    Ms Bear - I posted some additional images earlier this evening ..... they are coming in droves now!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fountain is just beautiful as is all the gorgeous blooms. I am also trying persude the weavers to pose but they will have nothing of it!

    Veronica
    Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of those online diaries that has left a significant impact on the hearts of the individuals.
    top smoker grills

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails