Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Ribbon Board Tells a Story - Show and Tell Friday

It's Show and Tell Friday  from its new home at My Romantic Home , please join the fun!

My ribbon board sits above my sewing machine and tells quite a story. Mementos of departed family keep me company and remind me of the sewing lessons, crochet lessons, all those things that stay with us throughout our lives.

The little Bing and Grondahl pin/pendant was my mother-in-law's.  She loved her two boys and her four grandchildren beyond anything else in her life.

The garnet star brooch was my maternal grandmother's, the "country grandma" who inspired my recent post Breakfast At Grandma's House  This was her house in 1952 when we were back in Kansas for a visit.



And the charm bracelet is really a special piece.  Charm Bracelets have been around for a long time and come in and out of vogue as the years come and go.  This charm bracelet was put together during my family's travels throughout Europe during the eight years we lived there after WWII.  You can see lots of the little charms from Paris, a little dachshund like the one we had, fish, scissors, a replica of Elizabeth's carriage from her coronation, a ferris wheel that spins, many many memories of my childhood.  I don't wear it, but do spin back through time each time I sit at my sewing table.  The little lace clips I wore on my shoes at my daughter's wedding.  The little lady bug pin reminds me of Vera's logo, but I had it long before I got into vintage tablecloths.



21 comments:

  1. Hi Candy,

    What a nice collection you have here. Thanks for sharing and have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely AMAZING!!!!! {I could say 'antiques'...but then that would age me since I was around in the '50s...so I won't call them antique...how 'bout "beautiful vintage pieces"?!!!]


    My Show n Tell is posted. Hope you can visit! There's a 'treat' for you also, if you'd like!!! [on my sidebar] Head on over if you find time. Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Candy

    What a great idea. I never thought of adding "jewelry" to my board. I love how you did that and what you chose to display is wonderful

    Enjoy your memories!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice collection! I like how you displayed it.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some sweet, and lovely things. Plus the precious memories of your loved ones to go with them. Thank you so much for sharing. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your charm bracelet what a treasure! I hope you will stop by soon and visit me!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Candy, all your goodies are wonderful but, that CHARM BRACELET makes me drool. Oh I would want to play & remember too. What fun you must of had while collecting all those charms. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bling bling bling! Great idea putting it all right there were you can enjoy the memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Old things are good things. That must mean I am very very good! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was ooohing and ahhhhing while looking at all that! I love the little bee pin! That charm bracelet is so special!!! Thanks for joining in on my first day hosting Show and Tell!! What a great post this was!!

    I love vintage tablecloths too! Most of mine are white linen and lace...that's my weakness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just noticed that you are in Northern California! Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an absolutely lovely posting! I love to hear the stories behind the treasures! Lovely pictures, lovely items, thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cool--especially the charm bracelet story

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the black and white winter photo. Reminds me of spending Christmas Eve at my grandma's house and playing in the snow with cousins.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that jewelry. As a matter of fact, I wore my gold charm bracelet today -- I have had it since I was sixteen which was almost 48 years ago! That black and white photo of your grandmother's house is wonderful. It looks like we want to step right inside.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love the charm bracelet!!! It's nice how you display these things so you are reminded often of special people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great display! It's given me ideas to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope everyone had a great weekend, thanks for playing with the "memory" board with me. See you all again on Friday for more "Show and Tell."

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love love love this.. Great photogrophy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What beautiful treasures you have. I absolutely love the picture of your Grandmas house. It looks like a post card. These beautiful things will help you to keep the good memories with you forever. Cheers Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Sherri! I actually did use that image for a Christmas card one year awhile back, somehow it just says, "Welcome" to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails