Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Waldmärchen or Forest Fairy Tales

A couple of weeks ago I shared a children's book from my childhood.
Here I am again for Vintage Thingies Thursday hosted by Coloradolady,
with another of my saved books, this time one in German published in 1948.
Because I was bilingual I have story books in both English and German.

I just love the illustrations in this book.  They bring the story to life with
all the creatures of the forest involved in the adventures of the children.
One of the reasons I chose this to share this week is because of the tie in
Jump over and check out the tablescape that pairs perfectly with my story book.

Märchen [mairh‐yen], the German term for tales of enchantment and marvels,
usually translated as ‘fairy tales’ despite the absence of actual fairies from most
examples; also for a single such tale (the singular and plural forms being the same).
Märchen have been divided into two categories: the Volksmärchen are folktales of the
kind collected by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm in their celebrated Kinder‐ und Hausmärchen
(1812), while Kunstmärchen are ‘art tales’, that is, literary creations like the uncanny
tales of E. T. A. Hoffmann.

So here is "Forest Fairy Tales"


Front Cover


Back Cover, note the mushrooms!


For those of you familiar with German, note that the umlaut is two butterflies
in the illustration on the title page. And the mushroom or  toad "stool".




An old snail with a walking stick.


And a tearful snail.



Thanks for joining me today for another look back at a favorite story book.

22 comments:

  1. I love all the pictures in your book, especially the animated tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that! Love the great pictures in the book. Happy VTT!

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an adorable book. Enjoyed your post of the pictures. I will have to leave the words to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet book, the animated pages and pictures are just adorable. Thanks for sharing this today! Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a wonderful little book, I love the illustrations..they're so bright and pretty.
    Happy VTT..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the forest tales book illustrations!! What a treasure you have!
    (And the Tales of Hoffmann are some of my favorites!! My daddy used to read those to me when I was a girl. I still have the book.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I love the impish characters with their rosey cheeks. It reminds me of books that I read. Winkin Blinkin & Nod maybe??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such adorable woodland creatures and vibrant artwork in this book! Could only make out half the words, but I think any child would love to be read the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of the bright illustrations would make any child love the story. Very nice book. happy VTT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks ladies for coming by for story time!

    There is something so charming and innocent about these old books and great memories of reading them again and again as a child.

    See you all next week for more Vintage Thingies.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are beautiful graphics! The woodland creatures are so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely book! I love the illustrations and the lovely flower trellis around the written words! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a darling book. I love the illustrations and how the back cover is decorated as well!!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a magical little book that I would love to have, even though I don't speak German! The illustrations are just wonderful. I can definitely see why you treasure this book!
    Happy VTT!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love the graphics. How adorable. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a very sweet book. I LOVE those vintage illustrations!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    P.S. LOVE your sweet music!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love illustrated books and yours is so charming and such a treasure, to have been saved from childhood! And to be about gnomes and toadstools to boot, I'm smiling from ear to ear. (I am loving your plates in your next post!!!)
    Happy VTT,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh! Too wonderful for words. Thanks so much for sharing. And you have such a lovely blog as well. Your aesthetic speaks to my heart. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I, too, love the "snails and mushrooms" look...(check out my blog---I had a friend design it in that theme). I especially love the "folksy" look of this book. Thanks for posting it!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you all for coming by for another VTT! And thanks for your lovely comments on my story book.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was such a delight to see! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Leslie Anne! I still love this little book and the charming illustrations.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails