Thursday, July 4, 2013

I Heart The USA - Happy July 4, 2013

 
Happy July 4th to everyone! Have a safe and happy holiday.
 
Lots of traditional American foods are associated with this holiday - 
anything on the BBQ or grill or from your picnic basket - hot dogs,
burgers, great salads, pie and ice cream.
 
For me, I always want to find a big bowl of German Potato Salad!
Nothing better to go with all the other great food served on big long
brightly colored tables. The recipe I use is at the end of this post!
 













A Close To Authentic German Potato Salad
Cover the potatoes with water, bring to boil and cook for approx 10 min,
only until easily pierced with a fork.  Drain and gently rinse in cold water, set aside.
Fry bacon until brown and crisp, remove from pan and set aside.
Add onion to bacon grease, saute until until browned.  Ad vinegar, water, sugar,
celery seed, salt and pepper.  Bring to gentle boil, add potatoes and parsley.  Crumble
in 1/2 the bacon, heat through and place in serving dish.  Crumble remaining bacon over
the top and garnish with parsley sprigs.  Serve warm. Makes 4 generous servings and 
can easily be doubled or tripled for a crowd.
3 C diced potatoes (I like small red potatoes)
6 slices bacon
1 sm onion diced
1/2 c white vinegar
4 T water
1 T sugar
1 t celery seed
1 t salt
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
1 T chopped fresh parsley

Other Red White and Blue Tablescapes found here on The Little Round Table
work nicely for July 4th also!

Inaugural Tablescape


Presidents' Day Tablescape




17 comments:

  1. Cute, love this setting everything looks great! Your potato salad is real close to the way my G-Mom-B would make it, celery seed might be new... Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bright colors on your table. Fiestaware is great for a celebration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you'd have all the perfect dishes for the 4th!! It looks beautiful. And that's a great recipe for German Potato Salad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE all your Fiestaware! I really like German Potato Salad and will try your recipe soon.

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute table and your potato salad sounds delish. I love your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Candy...

    What a fabulous display of red, white, and blue!!! I love, love, LOVE your 4th of July table! Ohh...and I especially like those beautiful, ornate, square charger plates...sooo pretty! I also love your pretty red napkins with the pretty red and white borders! Such a beautiful table, my friend! And I love how it looks against the backdrop of your GORGEOUS kitchen!!! I must tell you, that your kitchen is one of my most favorite in all of Blogland!!!

    I also really enjoyed your "Inagural" and "President's Day" tables! I love the pretty charger plates with the ribbon! Thank you again for sharing your creativity and talents through tablescaping with us for Sunday Favorites! It's always such a treat and a real pleasure, Candy!!!

    Have 4th of July!!!
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my!Is that your kitchen and table? What wonderful pictures. That is such a wonderful patriotic table setting.
    I love German potato salad, too. I haven't made it in years though.
    Thanks so much for sharing with us.
    ´*•.¸(´*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´
    ♥•.*.Thank you.*.•♥
    ♥•.*.very much.*.•♥
    ¸.•*´(¸.•*´♥´*•.¸)´*•.¸
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had my yearly fix of German Potato Salad! Now I wouldn't exactly describe myself as a glutton, but close!!

    Thank you all for stopping by to check out my tribute to the Red White and Blue and for your lovely comments!

    Cherry Chick - Yes, that is THE Little Round Table and it does indeed live in my kitchen!

    Thanks again everyone,
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Candy, I love those big white fancy chargers. Where did you find those? They give the table a very "federal" feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Janet!

    Those square chargers came from marylandchina.com and I really love them. They work with so many different settings and do give a "stately" feel to any setting.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bookmarked it! I love German potato salad, and I even posted about it today! I'll try your recipe. Your table is so pretty and I love the heart bowls best. I love America!

    Happy Birthday, USA!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great patriotic table! I am obsessed with glassware right now and love the red dots glasses you used. I have never made German potato salad, but your recipe makes it sound so simple I am going to have to try it soon. I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July (ours was extremely wet but still nice)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a great salad, but this year I made my grand daughter's favorite pasta salad before she takes off for college. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails