Tuesday, November 9, 2010

International Christmas Cookie Party - Week 2

I'm joining Johanna for her International Christmas Cookie Party over at Silber & Rosen


This is another family recipe for cookies, nothing fancy this week.
These make great cookies for breakfast, to take on a walk in the woods or on a long plane trip.


Ranger Cookies




This is not anything unique, just a family favorite and better than any power bar I've ever found! There are a bazillion recipes for "Ranger Cookies", but many of them have corn flakes in them. I find the recipe I use to be far superior. (And it's the coconut that you never want to tell the kiddies about ...... my oldest granddaughter still tells the story about how I "tricked" her into eating the cookies with the "eeewwwww coconut" in them. By the way they are her favorite cookie.)



1/2 C Butter & 1/2 C Margarine (I use all butter)
1 C Sugar
1 C Brown Sugar
2 Eggs beaten
2 1/4 C flour
1 t vanilla
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 1/2 C rolled oats
1 1/2 C Rice Krispies
1 C coconut

Cream shortening and sugar, add flour, salt, eggs, vanilla, soda and baking powder.

Add oats, Rice Krispies and coconut one at a time only until blended. Don't crunch the Rice Krispies to powder by over mixing, I add those last. Drop by spoonful onto greased baking sheet, flatten slightly. 12-15min 350F.


In our family there are those (like me) that like these flat and crispy, on the almost overdone side. Then there are those who like them slightly underdone, which makes them softer and chewy. The one imperative is that you have a glass of cold milk handy! These are a lot like potato chips, in that you can't just eat one.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Candy,
    this is another completely new recipe for me. Very different to ours but I can imagine that this cookies are yummy around the whole year. And I really love coconut. Thank you so much for joining the party and sharing this wonderful recipe.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ranger Cookies, haven't had them in a long time-gotta fix that:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candy, I've never heard of Ranger cookies, but i do love coconut and rice krispies, so I think I will try them! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look and sound delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At Johannas blog I found your link .

    I think I will try to bake your ranger cookies, Candy. Could you please tell me what "C" means? Is "C" a cup? "t" is a tea spoon?

    Hugs and greetings from Bavaria, Germany
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  6. bastrota -

    Yes, that is correct.

    In American recipes:

    C means cup

    T means tablespoon

    t means teaspoon

    I don't know if you have access to "Rice Krispies", but they are important to the final result. They have a distinctive flavor and they are what make these cookies different than other "Ranger Cookies."

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very welcome Teri! These are still one of my favorite "everyday" recipes of all time, right up there with chocolate chip cookies!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I love Ranger Cookies. But I have never seen them with Rice Crispies. I think I have to give them a go. :)
    Greetings from Scotland
    Shippy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails