Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Moira's Irish Cottage

Welcome to another Tablescape Thursday
hosted by Susan of Between Naps On The Porch

Be sure to stop over at BNOTP to see all the wonderful tablescapes for this week!


I saw the 1959 movie version of Nevil Shute's "On The Beach" during
Christmas week that year, not exactly an uplifting movie but certainly
thought provoking. Ava Gardner played the character Moira Davidson and
I immediately fell in love with the name.  A decade later when I had my
daughter the name "Moira" was vetoed by Mr. TLRT, but I have always
loved it, so this is my chance to finally use that wonderful name.

Here is Moira's Cottage all ready for a traditional St. Patrick's
Day meal of bacon, cabbage and boiled potatoes. Bacon and cabbage,
not corned beef, was the traditional Irish meal.






Flatware, napkins and shamrock plates from Home Goods.



Rosenthal "Medallion" china tea cups, sugar, creamer and tea pot.
Vintage Harlequin individual creamer, chartreuse Rhythm underplate both
by Homer Laughlin China Company.



Beleek creamer and sugar.



Vintage Homer Laughlin shirred egg plate from the Oven Serve line.
And below are the custard cups from the same line in their vintage wire rack.


Lantern was a souvenir from the Virgin Islands.


Vintage Homer Laughlin ironstone milk pitcher.


Glassware from Pfaltzgraff










Vintage Homer Laughlin punch bowl.  It is so large that I have rarely used it for punch, but it makes a great serving piece for anything that needs to be iced.  I fill the bowl with ice,
then add a glass plate for things like shrimp or devilled eggs.


Reproductions of vintage folding cake/sandwhich trays.




Spring chickens and faux  FabergĂ© egg from Home Goods



What you'll need to make the original St. Patrick's day meal :
1 head of cabbage
1 1/4 to 2-pounds Smithfield bacon (a dry salt-cured, hickory smoked bacon)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons of butter
What to do:
Place unwrapped bacon in 5-quart pot of cold water; bring to a boil and drain.
Cover bacon with fresh cold water, bring to a boil, then simmer for
25 minutes per pound of bacon.
Remove outer leaves of cabbage, cut in half, core, and add to bacon and water
for last 20 minutes of simmering time.  Remove bacon and chop into small pieces.
Drain cabbage, chop and season with salt and pepper. Mix cabbage, bacon and
butter together, and serve with a side of boiled potatoes for true Irish fare.
Enjoy!  And Happy St. Patrick's Day!

26 comments:

  1. Charming. I just love the shamrock plates with the moss-covered background. Such a creative lady you are.

    I, too, had a veto-ing husband. Was yours as short on his own suggestions as mine? Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so so sweet..Your shamrock plates are just precious.
    I hope you link this up with CUISINE KATHLEEN'S St. Patrick's Day party on the 16th...It's just perfect.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tables never disappoint! Beautiful punch bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your St. Patrick's day dishes and the cottage -- Everything looks quite grand for the big green day. You have a wonderful Irish collection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so festive for St. Patrick's Day! All decked out in your finest green!

    Love those plates with the shamrocks, and I spy a set of napkins I almost bought, too! Did you get yours at Home Goods? I ended up using some I had, but seeing yours, I want to go back for them. I got them in yellow, though. Same pattern.

    Love your Irish cottage... so cute! And all of the little ducks and things on your table. Very cute 'scape!

    Erin Go Braugh and Happy Tablescape Thursday...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful punch bowl...Love all your green
    xoxo
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that cottage!! The square plates are wonderful, too. Your table is just fabulous. And Early Happy St. Patrick's day to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. bj - you bet I'll see you for the party at CUISINE KATHLEEN'S !

    Sheila, I did get my napkins at HG!

    Thank you all for stopping by and leaving a comment, I do appreciate it! I'll have another St. Pat's table at Kathleen's Party to share.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. I hope to join your Thursday party soon. Since I'm so new at linking and getting my post ready on time I missed my window of opportunity this week. I love to look at your blog and I have put it on my favorite blog list to check everyday.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candy, love your attention to all the little details. Love Moira's cottage, the sheep, the plates, the Belleek - great table!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Candy, I just discovered your Happenstance Garden blog and wanted to let you know I left a comment on it, and can't wait for updates!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cozy cottage table! And with a Homer punch bowl supervising it all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone! It was a fun one to put together and I think I need to go rent On The Beach to watch again after all these years.

    Beth - I do intend to get back to the Happenstance Garden blog (when I first started blogging in Aug 2009, I set up the 3 blogs.....what was I thinking, I'm having a tough time keeping up with them all!)I've been very remiss in not getting it up to date and here it is gardening season again. I'm still 2 years behind in posting pictures, but I will get to it and then start fresh for 2010. I had to laugh as I visited the post you commented on.....I had dated it "1007" instead of "2007" .... I would never catch up if that were true. LOL I also had a couple of dates wrong that I fixed for when things happened, it's tough getting OLD!!

    Hi Daphne! That is my favorite of the 3 or so Homer punch bowls I have ..... just love the shamrocks!!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love your tablescape. The lucky clower plates are so beautiful. The cottage in the cneter of your table makes me feel as if I were in Ireland. Everything is just lovely. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope if you have a chance you will come by to say hello. Cheers, Lia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful table! Love the shamrock plates and the napkins! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many beautiful, colorful elements, and your attention to detail is always impressive! I loved seeing Moira's cottage (and I agree it's an unusual, very special name!).

    Hope you have an enjoyable weekend.

    Regards,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how fun! Great job!! Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks again for stopping by, I do so appreciate your lovely comments!

    Bill - I haven't used this name for the last time...perhaps a new cat or dog will be christened with this name!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Candy, I came across your blog while reading up on the 2010 Housewares show. You have a beautiful collection of tablewares. I do have a question, did you make Moira's cottage? I just love your cottage. It looks very similar to the houses that my relatives live in,in Ireland. If you didn't make it, where did you buy it? I would love to add it to my collection. Happy St. Patty's Day!!!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Erin -

    I purchased my cottage from the Charleston Gardens catalog about 6 years ago. At the time I think it was the only one they carried. Now they carry a lot of different ones! I love the lepruchaun version

    https://www.charlestongardens.com/index2007.cfm

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Candy,

    Thank you soo much for the information. I'll go and check out the site. I bookmarked your blog page and I'll be a frequent viewer. :)

    Thanks again!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great Erin! Let me know if you do choose one, I'd love to hear about it.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails